Thread: Is four ply, plywood allowed for shear walls?

Is four ply, plywood allowed for shear walls?

I know three ply is not allowed. Five ply is the normal 1/2 ply used for shear walls. I had never heard of four ply until now. So does code allow it or not? I found no information about it at all.
    Bill D.
    Sold at HD.

Why would you ask the interweb and not a 15 second call to your local code enforcement? Always better to go to the source (which you will ultimately do anyway) as opposed to a bunch of speculative nonsense from the interweb

laminnations are uneven numbers up to whatever 13 or 15 in the older baltic birch 3/4" stuff

Plywood used in structural applications must be rated and stamped as such, as far as I know. If you’re looking at the HD product labeled as Marine Ply (AB) exterior), it has no stamp for use as structural sheathing. Nice material though, especially when it was the same price as CDX.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Why would you ask the interweb and not a 15 second call to your local code enforcement? Always better to go to the source (which you will ultimately do anyway) as opposed to a bunch of speculative nonsense from the interweb
    This is the only way you'll get an answer that you can actually use.