Thread: fire alarm / smoke detector / heat sensor

fire alarm / smoke detector / heat sensor

https://www.finewoodworking.com/.../fire-safety-in-the-shop

I see the above link, but I wonder if there are any updates now that it is 11 years old? I’d really like a fire alarm / smoke detector / heat sensor that I can put in my 2 car garage. That’s where I do woodworking and I also have a cnc machine that is not in an enclosure. I’d like some type of alarm that won’t be triggered by sawdust. Thanks for any tips.

Garages typically use heat sensors to avoid false alarms (they are what is required by code, I believe). Photoelectric detectors will go off all the time from dust in a shop, so not recommended. Ionization detectors may be triggered by solvents if you do finishing in the space (as well as by car exhaust), though I have never set mine off. I do blow it out periodically.

Setting up several heat sensors over possible ignition points may be your best bet, though the ionization detectors in my shop have not proven problematic. If you share space with a car I think you need to go with heat sensors.

Don't forget to add a CO detector if you're not running cars in the garage (and maybe if you are-- I'd prefer to know if CO levels are that high!

Your local fire department may well be willing to provide useful advice. Our chief was happy to make a site visit and offer thoughts on types and placement of alarms.

All the firemen I have ever met in my life are delighted to offer advice about smoke detectors and fire prevention - they see it as increasing the odds they won't have to get up in the middle of the night.

You might start by looking for a local jurisdiction department website that might have an FAQ page on it, next step stop up at the firehouse with a pizza sort of midday and ask away. Pepperoni always a good choice.

Location and climate? Make sure the heat detector is adjustable so it will not trip at too low a temp. Some are as low as 135F. Well under my attic temp on a sunny day that is 120F outside. It is not normally that hot but 125-135 in the attic on many summer days that are barely over 100.
    Bill D

In my new shop based on the electrical inspector's recommendation I installed: heat detector in the shop, heat detector in the adjacent garage, and smoke alarm in the second story space above the shop. Everything is wired together and fed from the upstairs subpanel.

In my situation the upstairs space could be used to sleep in so the idea was to give someone as much warning as possible knowing a heat detector probably isn't going to trigger until there is a real fire.
    Regards,

Kris

Smoke detectors will connect to a fire alarm system. Smoke alarms are self contained but may be inter connected to other smoke alarms. Smoke detectors of any type are not to be used in a shop or false alarms will be a problem. The one exception to this is multi criteria detectors that need a combination of smoke, heat and CO for an alarm condition. These are pretty expensive and not likely to be found in the residential market. Heat detector is the best choice for a dusty environment but they will require a connection to an alarm system or other audible warning device. The fastest response and greatest coverage would be a 135 degree Rate of Rise heat detector. It is rated at 50' X 50' on smooth ceilings 10' and below. It will respond to a rise in temperature of 15 degrees within one minute or a peak of 135 Degrees. For attics you need a 195 degree model. I am not aware of an input on a smoke alarm that a heat detector can be connected to but there may be a model that does. Most fire detectors are NO (normally open) and short the contacts in an alarm condition.

I bought a Nest Protect smoke and CO alarm for my workshop. It's relatively close to my wide-belt sander, which certainly can and does fill up the air with fine dust. That being said, it's never had a false alarm. It's supposedly a heat detector too.

My $0.02
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I've had a number of Kidde wireless interconnected smoke detectors installed in my house, shop and detached boat garage for a number of years. The one in the shop only goes off if I forget to remove it when I use my branding iron to mark a finished project or when I do brazing with my propane or mapp gas torch. Other than those occasions, I have not had a single false alarm. When I remove the smoke detector from the shop I set it on the window sill next to my car keys so I won't forget to put it back in the shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is from the documentation that came with the units I have installed. Smoke alarm and heat alarm are interconnected. These are Kidde units

20211002_220410.jpg
    Regards,

Kris