Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric usage : 8 Amp Corded Drill vs 24 Volt Cordless dril

I think the answer is pretty easy but only because the two drills are not even close to comparable. The corded drill will consume a lot more power, even if lightly loaded, because it is a much more powerful drill. Loading it lightly will not make it come as little power as a cordless drill. To prove it you would need to measure consumption but I am pretty darn sure this is the case.

For comparable sized drills, the cordless will consume more because of the ineffiency of converting the AC to DC. Differences in designs of motors is an even smaller factor.

But big drills consume more electricity than little drills.

To confuse the issue even more I found out that Stanely makes a pneumatic angle grinder designed for underwater use. How about that compressor efficiency and hydrodynamic drag on the spinning disk. I assume most would use a hose not an air tank. Their underwater drills seem to all be hydraulic as used by the power companies along with hydraulic chainsaws for working up power poles
    Bill D.

https://www.stanleyinfrastructure.co...rwater-grinder

https://underwaterhydraulics.com/col...erwater-drills

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Again guys the question is this:
    "
    What uses more electricity? The corded drill for 2 hours, or Charging the 2.0 Amp Hour battery?"

The OP is asking if the battery charger uses more electricity to recharge the battery than the corded drill uses.
    Actually, the OP starts by declaring that the question is, "Trying figure out how much electricity these 2 drills use." The post is ambiguous, at best. I think it's safe to assume that the first line and the title clearly state the OP's intention.

I think it's safe to assume that the first line and the title clearly state the OP's intention.
    Then how does that explain the OP's last 2 sentences?
    "What uses more electricity? The corded drill for 2 hours, or Charging the 2.0 Amp Hour battery?"

Ok - edit to say:

We could each go back and forth about what the OP was after - but - why?

The OP can come back and clear it up when he wants to.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 09-28-2021 at 1:55 PM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    It’s very clear that what’s being asked is which would ultimately make the stronger joint. Clearly the answer is the green one!
    Sorry - I couldn’t resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    This is one of the great fallacies of electric cars -- they're actually more wasteful of energy than direct fuel-to-mechanical due to energy conversion losses when you figure the ENTIRE process.
    Mind showing us the source for this?

“EVs convert over 77 per cent of the electrical energy from the grid to power at the wheels. Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 12 per cent – 30 per cent of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels,” according to the US Department of Energy. The difficulty for ICE vehicles is by providing driving flexibility; they sacrifice thermodynamic efficiency. As The Driven points out, “petrol and diesel cars are very inefficient in converting the energy in their tanks into motion at the wheel ... over 60 per cent of the energy is wasted as heat.”

https://www.energycouncil.com.au/ana...ore-efficient/

Just like energy efficiency has driven down emissions in the power sector, efficiency is also a primary driver of cleaning up the transportation sector. Electric motors makes vehicles substantially more efficient than internal combustion engines (ICEs). Electric motors convert over 85 percent of electrical energy into mechanical energy, or motion, compared to less than 40 percent for a gas combustion engine. These efficiencies are even lower after considering losses as heat in the drivetrain, which is the collection of components that translate the power created in an electric motor or combustion engine to the wheels. According to the Department of Energy (DOE), in an EV, about 59-62 percent of the electrical energy from the grid goes to turning the wheels, whereas gas combustion vehicles only convert about 17-21 percent of energy from burning fuel into moving the car. This means that an electric vehicle is roughly three times as efficient as an ICE vehicle. Needing less energy to power your car also helps bring down the cost.
    https://www.nrdc.org/experts/madhur-...c-vehicles-101

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    Trying figure out how much electricity these 2 drills use.

1. 8 Amp corded drill used for 2 hours

2. 24 Volt Cordless drill with a 2.0 Amp Hour lithium Battery.

What uses more electricity? The corded drill for 2 hours, or Charging the 2.0 Amp Hour battery?
    The cordless drill could draw approximately 24 watts of power for 2 hours from the battery. That wouldn’t be enough energy to drill itself out of a wet paper bag.

The AC powered drill, if it’s a good one, could output 2 or 300 watts worth of power for 2 hours.

The only time I’ve ever run a drill for 2 hours was using my Holehawg to winch 80 batteries that weighed 700 pounds each up a 50 foot ramp.

Where I live the AC drill would cost 20 cents to winch all batteries, the cordless couldn’t winch any, although it would only cost 1 cent to recharge…..Rod

Trying figure out how much electricity these 2 drills use.

1. 8 Amp corded drill used for 2 hours

2. 24 Volt Cordless drill with a 2.0 Amp Hour lithium Battery.

What uses more electricity? The corded drill for 2 hours, or Charging the 2.0 Amp Hour battery?
    Just curious about your question. Are you debating whether to buy a corded drill or a cordless drill? If you need to operate the drill continuously for several hours, then by all means buy a good quality corded drill. Maybe something like one of the higher end Milwaukee or equivalents. For more occasional light/medium duty non-continuous use, then perhaps the cordless drill would be a better choice for you. I own and use both, depending on the particular circumstance.

David

I think the question is poorly structured, it's apples and bananas. A much better question would be "Which drill will consume more electricity to drive 100 three inch drywall screws into a block of oak?"
    I agree there probably isn't a commercially available drill out there that can run continuously under full load for two hours straight.

Based on these answers, we should all keep our day jobs. If a corded drill had no cord, I would choose that one!!!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

You can measure the amount of electricity used easily and inexpensively with a watt-hour meter but it doesn't mean anything unless the drills are doing comparable work. How about this:

Start with a charged battery and do something with the cordless untill the battery dies. Then recharge it while using a meter on the charger to see how much power was used. Then meter the corded drill while doing the same work the cordless did and you have your answer.

Try to simplify this .

Using that same cordless drill with 2 1/2 inch Wood Screws drilling through 8/4 Red Oak; how long would the battery last , before it dies out, and needs to be recharged ? If it is a 2 Amp Hour Battery, would it last 2 hours ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    It’s very clear that what’s being asked is which would ultimately make the stronger joint. Clearly the answer is the green one!
    Sorry - I couldn’t resist!
    That could vary based on whether it was end grain or long grain.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    That could vary based on whether it was end grain or long grain.
    And what brand of duck tape is used.

Try to simplify this .

Using that same cordless drill with 2 1/2 inch Wood Screws drilling through 8/4 Red Oak; how long would the battery last , before it dies out, and needs to be recharged ? If it is a 2 Amp Hour Battery, would it last 2 hours ?
    The answer depends on the time and current draw per hole. And how many screws are you "drilling". I would assume you are drilling a pilot hole first, and then driving the screws into the hole. The battery in question can supply 2 amps for 1 hour, 1 amp for 2 hours, 1/2 amp for 4 hours, and so on. You can buy batteries with a greater Amp Hour rating, and additional batteries as well. In my case, I use a Milwaukee M18 drill with 5 ah batteries. I have spare batteries, so there is always a fully charged spare when the one in the drill (or driver) runs low. I find the cordless drill with high torque DC motor to be much more pleasant to use for driving screws than using a corded drill with AC motor.

David