Thread: GCC Spirit Freezing Up

GCC Spirit Freezing Up

Hi all. I have a GCC Spirit laser cutter/engraver that we've had for several years.
    Today, we turned on the cutter and it went through the initialization steps, and once the laser head went to HOME, the entire unit just froze up.
    We can't do anything on the machine.

Not 100% sure where to look to start and solve this problem. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by David Sabot View Post
    Hi all. I have a GCC Spirit laser cutter/engraver that we've had for several years.
    Today, we turned on the cutter and it went through the initialization steps, and once the laser head went to HOME, the entire unit just froze up.
    We can't do anything on the machine.

Not 100% sure where to look to start and solve this problem. Any ideas?
    I'd unplug it and replug it in, see it it works. If its doing that right after homing the unit, there might be a limit switch that is being triggered that maybe locking the unit to prevent damage.

Does that machine have an LCD screen (like my GCC Explorer)? IF SO, is the black text/wording still nice & black, or is it faded or non-existent? IF the wording is there, and quite dark, then I'm not sure where to look--

But if the screen IS faded, then I may have a fix-- My GCC has went thru a 'slowly died to nothing' state twice since I bought it (used @10 years-ish old, now 16 years old), and while going thru the throes of death the display screen would keep fading lighter.

What fixed it both times: I unplugged the machine, got a can of CRC electronics spray cleaner, accessed the motherboard on the side, and one by one I pulled EVERY plug that COULD be pulled off the board, sprayed both the plug and its connector, and re-attached the plug. After the motherboard I went around to every other un-pluggable plug on everything else I could find and sprayed those too. Once done the machine simply worked After the second time the thing quit- about 2 years after my first cleaning, I did a pre-emptive strike and cleaned up everything again. As of right now it's working great- knock on my head-

For my machine the fading display was the 'tattle-tale' both times. I really don't know which connector(s) were the actual culprits, but since ALL the connections get cleaned up, no worries...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle