Thread: Pm 3520a

Pm 3520a

I have a chance to buy an older Powermatic 3520a. Any advice on what to look for or beware of on an older PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Haas View Post
    I have a chance to buy an older Powermatic 3520a. Any advice on what to look for or beware of on an older PM?
    These are great lathes and in wide use buy some very respectable turners. If some things are not working they might be easily fixed, perhaps still worth buying if the price is right. If you are not familiar with this lathe you might try to find someone to go with you to look at it. There are likely several in most turning clubs who have one or used to.

I’d see if it runs when turned on, the speed changes, and the forward/reverse switch works. If it doesn’t run correctly but the VFD doesn’t display an error message on the back the problem may be an easily fixed thing with the control circuit but you might not want to mess with that unless the price was really low. It’s a bad sign if the VFD display is blank. A bad VFD can be a big hassle and/or expense. If the seller doesn’t have a way to plug it in for testing I’d be suspicious.

If the spindle bearings are bad they are not too hard to replace, it might be worth buying of the price is right. However I’d pass if the spindle was bent (had significant runout) out if the spindle threads were messed up. Try mounting a chuck or faceplate if available.

The quill on the tailstock should advance and retract smoothly. (unlock first!) If not, it may just need cleaning but if the quill is bent from abuse it can be a hassle and expense to repair or replace.

The tool rest should tighten nicely in the banjo and the banjo should slide and lock easily. If not, it might be a simple cleaning, lube, and adjustment but i’d check underneath for excessive rust.

It’s rare but a cracked casting would be a no-go for most people.

That’s all I can think of right now.

JKJ

I liked the speed range better on it than I did on the newer B and C models, mostly it goes down to almost zero before it stops. This speed is essential for sanding my warped bowls. A good solid lathe. The on/off switch, and the variable speed knob go bad after a while, but they are simple to find and replace. Other than that, make sure you can plug it in and it will work...

Oh, some times the phase converter goes bad, especially if the lathe has been well used. I couldn't tell you how to replace it, but others can. I believe there is a 'Mustard Monster' forum some where....

One thing they did with the C model, that I think was a good upgrade, was to change the set up on the banjo so you are pulling 2 wedges together to keep the tool rest from vibrating loose. I had 2 set screws, and had a special T handle made where the cross bar would slide through a hole like the handles on a bench vice do.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 09-27-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks, folks. The asking price is $2000. If everything works is that reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Haas View Post
    Thanks, folks. The asking price is $2000. If everything works is that reasonable?
    It's not, per se, unreasonable. Prices on used machinery vary a lot by location, not just on the condition of the lathe. It also depends on what, if anything, comes with the lathe. Often, sellers 'throw-in' chucks, extra tool rests, and other tools with the sale. A couple of chucks, some face plates, and some lightly used gouges could easily cost more than $500 to replace. Check to see what similar lathes sold for over the past year on Craig's list or Facebook marketplace in your area. That should allow you to at least ball park the price.

Another way of looking at it, $2,000 is less than half what a new 3520C costs. A new lathe won't make anything that a used one in good shape won't. So, even if used lathes in your area typically sell for less, it wouldn't be hard to justify $2k for a nice one.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Unless it's in mint condition and hasn't been used much I think $2K is too much for the just the lathe, unless you're getting a bunch of goodies with it (that are actually worth it and not just crap the seller is trying to get rid of). We sold our clubs 3520A for $1500 and I've seen others go for this price locally. A used 3520B average price is $2500.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Unless it's in mint condition and hasn't been used much I think $2K is too much for the just the lathe, unless you're getting a bunch of goodies with it (that are actually worth it and not just crap the seller is trying to get rid of). We sold our clubs 3520A for $1500 and I've seen others go for this price locally. A used 3520B average price is $2500.
    I agree, it would have to be in excellent condition OR come with a bunch of accessories. Some years ago I bought a 3520b for $3k but it came with a bed extension (quite expensive alone) along with some tools and a bunch of wood. I've also seen 3520b lathes offered for closer to $2500 and even less. Both are excellent lathes and capable of turning almost anything.

JKJ

The price is high, but you can be turning immediately. If you don't buy it, it could be 6 months to get a new big lathe.