Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

27 Sep 2021

Greetings,
    Posting this a bit early as I have to leave extra early in the morning to process in with my new job.
    Got 2 woodworking projects done this week, one was for a local leather crafter for some finishing boards he wanted made and the other was a cutting board for a local friend of mine. I'm am finishing up another project for a church friend and it's a laptop stand (like a tv tray) to they use while they work from home. I should have that finished this week.

I'm nervously excited about the new job and I'll see how all this shakes out this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I finished my first project in shellac. Usually my go to is wipe on poly, but I've started branching out. I like it, it's like half the durability of poly with 1/4 the work. Rubbing it out (and waxing all at the same time) took me basically no time at all, and it sure looks nice.

I'm also glad I started with shelves, because brushing it was a learning curve and a shelf is as easy as it gets to sand runs flat.

Dennis, I'm sure it will be a glorious week as you get setup in your new position!

This past week, I got the majority of work done on my stair/stair railing project to make things safe in our new home. There were no railings for the last five steps and the "wings" that were on the bottom step, presumably for a fancy newel that was never installed, was a major tripping hazard. That bottom step was also not very sturdy as the previous owner pieced it together. This has all be rectified. Remaining work is to grout the tile where the floor was patched on the foyer side, while paint where needed and one piece of stained oak quarter round on the living room side once the paint is done. there are a few little things I could have done better, but we're happy with how things turned out.

IMG_0159.jpg

I also got back to working on my bass project...and inadvertently overtightened the low E string to the point of failure. So temporarily, it's a three string bass.

IMG_0176.jpg

Landscaping work got the rest of my time...changing things up a little here at the new place, getting rid of the larger round river rock that the previous owners used extensively to "edge" beds, causing a weeding monster. I also free-cycled the makeshift "fire pit" and transferred more plants from the old property to the beds here to fill some places in a little better for next year. (mostly ferns, but a few other unique specimens)

This week...more landscaping, hopefully finishing up the bass, and preparing for some on-site storage for the lumber and other things I'm paying a storage rental place for. A recent "dramatic" price increase after only four months made me take pause as it's looking like the need will be longer than I prefered. So I'll be working on getting a temporary storage solution out-pack to compliment the space I have available in the shed. The cost looks to be the equivalent of about three months rental and other than the storage canopy, the other materials I'd use for a solid deck would be reusable when the storage need goes away with the future shop building build.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, anxious to hear how the new gig goes....

I continue to plug away on the kitchen project. This week I disconnected the sink and dishwasher and pulled them away from the wall. I had left them in place for as long as possible, but it was time to strip the sheetrock off that wall. After stripping the rock, I did some electrical work and got started on the plumbing. I needed to move the location of the drain and the stub-outs for the water supplies. Plus I am adding a third water line that will carry reverse-osmosis filtered water to a separate faucet. Hoping to get started on sheetrock this week. Habitat restore is coming next week to take my old cabinets; will be glad to have the garage back, at least for a while.

Took a few hours away from the kitchen to install a couple of grab bars in the tub/shower at my sweeties request.

We had tickets to Sunday's Indians game, which was to be the last home game while the team is still named the Indians. Next year they will become the Cleveland Guardians. Well, the game sold out and we decided we didn't want to be in that large of a (mostly unmasked) crowd, so we gave the tickets to a niece. Instead of the game, we decided to play putt putt since it was a gorgeous fall day. I've lived in this area all my life, but we found a nearby course called Sweeties Golfland that we had never been to. They have two OK courses, but also have a fabulous ice cream/soda shop and an amazing candy store/warehouse. One of the things they specialize in is bottled sodas made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. They have over two hundred varieties, including at least 3 varieties of bacon flavored soda. I picked up a couple of bottles of Orange Crush, a favorite from my childhood; Mary grabbed a couple of bottles of root beer for future use making root beer floats. I can't believe I had never heard of or been there before.

Today I got a Covid booster and my flu shot.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, I did the same thing when I was doing the kitchen renovation in our old property back in 2003...ripped pretty much everything out except the sink...actually, I ripped out the sink, too, but put a cheap laundry sink in place so we would have use of it for washing dishes. It made using the "temporary kitchen" in the great room and cooking on the patio palatable. I was not moving any plumbing, however, as it would have triggered a permit requirement I didn't want to have to deal with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, I did the same thing when I was doing the kitchen renovation in our old property back in 2003...ripped pretty much everything out except the sink...actually, I ripped out the sink, too, but put a cheap laundry sink in place so we would have use of it for washing dishes. It made using the "temporary kitchen" in the great room and cooking on the patio palatable. I was not moving any plumbing, however, as it would have triggered a permit requirement I didn't want to have to deal with.
    Yes, fortunately I have worked enough with local inspectors that permits and inspections are usually smooth sailing (knock on wood). I probably could have left the plumbing as it was, but wanted to move it to make the space under the sink more usable. Hope I won't regret that decision come inspection time.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

As posted, finished the F&F jig. Also installed 3 sections of pallet racking (used, $500) 42" X 24" X 9', in order to clear more floor space.