Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Data Is Being Collected

Blog Entries

Your Data Is Being Collected

Reading today’s paper has me thinking of unplugging my computers and becoming a ‘Sofa Spud.’ It all started while reading about the hack of a web site hosting company. Following links to "related articles" got me wondering, What's Going On?

Then there was this > https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...rprinting-you/

And this > https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...s-time-switch/

And this > https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...is-whole-time/

Not only that these articles have links to other articles about how “our data” is being collected and used by others to impress their will upon our lives.

At least a few states are following California’s lead and legislating to make it possible to get out of the grip of “data collectors” and there nefarious intentions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So many popups on the first link, I could hardly read it! How hysterically ironic!

I agree - seems many of us, over age 50 in my case, who grew into the internet, smart phones and all manner of new electronics quite enthusiastically for several decades are now watching the whole thing turning into a garbage hole. Seems a majority of us are not able to see past the wool of "convenience" being traded off for a very ugly invasion of privacy and flat out manipulation.

Thank goodness there's a few places, such as Sawmill Creek, that are still used for basically what the internet was intended for in the first place:
    Connection with those who's experiences and knowledge serve to run a business or in this case, help a group of random people, for no other reason than good companionship and a general sense of decency and camaraderie.
    This is the American Spirit I embrace, and thanks to all who keep the few great places like this forum alive and well!

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that data is being collected.... every time you shop or search something online adds pop up the next time your online for the same thing you were looking at the day before...

Blog Entries
    Maybe someone will create an app to run searches when people are away from their computers that will mess up our "collected data" with nonsense.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

When you watch a show on cable television it's tracked and data in the form of conclusions are developed. I don't know if the same is true for satellite broadcast shows but I suspect it is. The question is with whom are they sharing it and for what purpose?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    When you watch a show on cable television it's tracked and data in the form of conclusions are developed. I don't know if the same is true for satellite broadcast shows but I suspect it is. The question is with whom are they sharing it and for what purpose?
    This was from the beginning of cable. The early legislation required cable companies to have an ability to carry bi-directional communications.

They didn't at the time need to provide bi-directional signals, just the capability.

Now that is used for many things. It is how shows can be rated and even which areas of the country are more likely to be watching which programs.

Netflix DVD and streaming even have lists of what people are watching in my locality.

George Orwell knew we would be watched. He didn't know we would be footing the bill for those watching us.

jtk

They used to do that with the Nielsen ratings boxes that would track what you watch, so the concept is not knew, and its apparent people are more than willing to give up privacy in exchange for some discount coupons. It ain't big brother, its big business and if someone is buying, someone is selling.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 09-26-2021 at 6:29 PM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    While searching through various information on this one link led to another and this one came up > http://www.offbeatoregon.com/o1109c-...-for-wife.html

An interesting story, some of the links on the side of the page can really lead one to the "offbeat stories of Oregon."

jtk

I hear lots of talk about this topic, everyone is worried about their data being collected. Other than annoying ads popping up based on their search history, has anyone actually been harmed by this data collection? Maybe big brother is watching or more likely big business, but what data are you afraid they will find?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I hear lots of talk about this topic, everyone is worried about their data being collected. Other than annoying ads popping up based on their search history, has anyone actually been harmed by this data collection? Maybe big brother is watching or more likely big business, but what data are you afraid they will find?
    If part of the data collection is financial information, SS#, driver's license, medical records etc, it could be problematic if a data collector's system is breached.

Some of this data, especially for younger people, could end up influencing human resource people. A hacker might be able to introduce manipulated data to cause someone not to be considered for employment.

For a retired person, that isn't much of a threat.

jtk

Jim, for those of us out of the job search age, I have news for you. Everything your kids/grand-kids post on-line IS being tracked. And not just by our "benign' service providers.
    Our (I'm Canadian and have no illusions) governments are tracking every thing we do. They love debit and credit cards; they can track our incomes to assess us. Cash payments? If you try and bank it, the banks can report it.
    It's not just our systems.
    Tic-Tok the popular app most teens use - the servers are in China under the Chinese government eyes. There's no privacy there. At least Facebook is banned there (small comfort).
    Facial recognition (used by most security agencies to "keep us safe from terrorism") is everywhere.
    Do I remember you just bought a new truck? All those computer chip in the Nav. systems, Ford knows where you are, police have back doors into your location .....forget about privacy.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Do I remember you just bought a new truck? All those computer chip in the Nav. systems, Ford knows where you are, police have back doors into your location .....forget about privacy.
    Yes, though it is a Chevy.

This reminds me of one of the stories of how Bin Laden beat the CIA (or whomever was) tracking him. He had someone else traveling a different route carry his satellite phone.

It would be easy to have someone take one's vehicle and credit card to use at some restaurant miles away from where one was committing a nefarious act. Technology could provide an alibi. Of course with all the security cameras in public places one would also have to use a mask akin to those used on Mission Impossible programs and movies.

Supposedly some retailers are already using facial recognition software to identify customers in their retail outlets. Imagine if they could link in to your internet searches to see if they could determine what you might be seeking.

Try a search on > retailers using facial recognition < It surprised me one retailer previously known to use facial recognition didn't pop up.

It seems some are changing their ways due to backlash.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-27-2021 at 3:21 PM. Reason: It seems some are changing

As bad as you/we may think all this data-tracking is, it can't hold a candle to 'actual' tracking. Example: back in the '70's I used to write letters to the newspaper. That is, right up until the day the paper printed a 'religious themed' rebuttal of mine to a previous writer. I was awakened then next morning with my house surrounded by dozens of idiots arguing with each other, and me, half of which wanted to know where I got off voicing my opinion against THEIR church, the other half fighting each other to be the first in line to sign me up with THEIR church. I'm here to tell you THAT was some scary crap going on! And they all found me because I was in the phone book. By the end of the day I had a new UNLISTED/UNPUBLISHED phone number and I've never written another letter-to-an-editor since.

Not so funny irony: conspiracy theorists would have you believe that 'the guvment' are or will send 'their people' to your home to force their will upon you. Yet, this same group of people can't help themselves from running roughshod thru a pizza joint, guns blazing, to take down a non-existent pedophile ring, or from storming state capitals while fully armed, or storming the US Capital intent on overturning an election and hanging the Vice President for good measure, or the latest craze, showing up fully armed at the homes of various state Election Officials and Secretary's of State with threats of violence and certain death....

Data-tracking- for now anyway- is so far down my 'worry scale' it simply doesn't matter to me. Actual 'can't fix stupid' people are another story...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Netflix at least uses the data on the shows that get watched to come up with more similar shows that will also (hopefully) get watched. My wife and I are watching an ever shrinking slice of the shows netflix puts online...

Pay site, don't bother.