Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thinking about getting different clamps

It all depends on the type of work you are doing and anticipating of doing. So no, I would not sell clamps unless I am sure I had no further use (but I guess I developed an addiction...) In addition to the Bessey/Jorgensens I use Klemmsia clamps for lighter duty applications and love them. There is a difference between the original Klemmsia I grew up with in Germany (and that are available as well here now from some suppliers at a premium) and the cheaper imitations that operate not quite as smoothly in my opinion.

I have heard a lot about the Dubuques and want to try some. But so far I have not figured out whether that is just another solution for a lighter clamp like my Klemmsias for a drawer glue-up or a different animal altogether. Has anybody used both and can provide some feedback? Are you gluing something like cork pads to the Dubuque's clamping faces?

Rockler has the Bessey K-Body clamps on sale right now. 24" are on sale for $43 each. I just purchased 10 more to have close to enough clamps as I kept running short of clamps on my cabinet door assemblies.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    So do you think I will be kicking myself for not having the parallel clamps some day.
    Yes.

If I had any parallel clamps that worked well I would keep them. However, my aluminum Jorgensen and Dubuque bar clamps are my favorites for gluing up panels and frames. Once in a while I pull out the old warhorse Jorgensen I-bar clamps when I really need extra pressure or screw length, but the aluminum clamps have plenty of power for most jobs and they are a lot easier on my back. I use pipe clamps occasionally for long pulls and when I run short of other clamps, but I hate the way they like to tip over and roll around the pipes when working alone.

Besides the bar clamps my go-tos are old Jorgensen f-clamps with throat depths from 2 1/2" to 5". The parallel clamps seem heavy for most of what I do. As a cabinetmaker I often make numerous assemblies in sequence, and lightweight clamps allow me to get a glueup off the bench to make way for the next one without getting sore.

Get a couple of the Dubuques and see how you like them- I think you will find them handy and better quality than Harbor Fright. We had some chiwan knockoffs from Lee Valley and several of the screw castings broke in use.

I just received the 48” Dubuque clamps I ordered and they are so lightweight, which I’m really looking forward to compared to Bessey K Body clamps and pipe clamps.

The price was pretty nice as well. Can’t wait to try them out and order more if I like them.
    Still waters run deep.

I do not like them much but I can't seem to spend more than absolutely necessary on clamps. So I have HF aluminum ones - 4 5ft and 4 4 ft - and a bunch of pipe clamps. Plus C clamps and F style clamps, also HF. Occasionally I need something longer than my 6 ft pipe clamps and it's really nice to be able to thread on an extension. 3/4 pipe clamps will also exert a LOT of clamping force but I need to be sure I protect the project. Ususally the cheap aluminum HF clamps are fine. If I need more force, I messed up.

Internet seems to call every thing “parallel clamps”. If you mean the jurgenson wooden ones ,I would keep them . Spin them ,holding both
    handles, no bad pinches to hands. They are speedy and accommodate angles, you need both. I worked for a couple of companies that each
    had at least a hundred, for things like custom hand rail they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Internet seems to call every thing “parallel clamps”. If you mean the jurgenson wooden ones ,I would keep them . Spin them ,holding both
    handles, no bad pinches to hands. They are speedy and accommodate angles, you need both. I worked for a couple of companies that each
    had at least a hundred, for things like custom hand rail they are great.
    I think the op is talking about clamps similar to Bessey K clamps rather than what we call "handscrews" around here. The wooden clamps are very versatile though. I use them occasionally to hold pieces upright on the bench or to hold a door upright for lock work with the handscrew clamped to he bench surface.

You can't have too many clamps. My son asked me a few years ago why I have so many. He must never have been in the shop when I was gluing up a batch of doors or edgebanding panels.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-04-2021 at 7:00 AM.

My experience mirrors Kevin:

I have some of those Aluminum clamps for years (decades) now, I believe they are jorgensen brand. They are my most often used clamps, due to the lightweight nature and quick adjusting. I also have some Rocklers but they stick/bind some, not nearly as smooth operating.

Sometimes I want more clamping force. The Aluminum ones will curve/bend with much force. So the second style of clamp I added to the arsenal were steel 'I' beam type. they are heavy duty and I use them second most.

I went years before adding parallel clamps. I now have some Jet and also some Bessey parallel. They are ok, and I do like the deeper jaw. I had some Irvin parallel clamps but they were never smooth. They are heavy. And not the most often used.

Then I added more 'F' style clamps. Some various sizes. These get used a fair bit. Not as heavy duty, but that is fine.

And also for decades I have owned various 'Quick grip' clamps. Light duty, but these get used more than any other clamp for whatever is needed in the moment (holding something in place, clamping to a benchtop, etc.).

So I do endorse the aluminum clamps and they would still be my first choice for general purpose clamping.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 10-04-2021 at 7:06 AM.

Looks like the consensus is never sell clamps.

Now how do you feel about other types of tools in the shop? Are you more likely to, keep tools because there is a small chance you will use it again some day or get rid of a unused tool? Cluttered or clean shop?

I started with dewalt quick clamps and quickly picked up a variety of f style and bessey parallels. Now I have about 32 parallels and Jet/Bessey. As for the rest I personally use smallest bessey f clamps in qty and will use the deepest reaching ones as well. I would sell the rest of the F's to make room on the wall if I get around to it. The Quick clamps get used occasionally and I have a drawer of oddballs that get used occasionally too. I havent had any Jorg clamps but would agree to hold onto them and buy more clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by justin sherriff View Post
    Now how do you feel about other types of tools in the shop? Are you more likely to, keep tools because there is a small chance you will use it again some day or get rid of a unused tool? Cluttered or clean shop?
    I think the answer to that question comes down to the nature of those tools. There are some specialty things that rarely get used, but when they are the right tool for the job...they are the right tool for the job. There are other things that we sometimes "collect" on whims that count more as clutter. My recent shop move really revealed some of that stuff for sure!

The thing with clamps...even the most despised clamp becomes your favorite when it's the last one you have available to use in a glue up that's in progress. (For me, those are some pipe clamps that stay stored away for "that time" when extras are needed)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"There are other things that we sometimes "collect" on whims that count more as clutter. My recent shop move really revealed some of that stuff for sure!"

I resemble that remark. When I added on to my shop and put a wood floor over the slab 15 years ago I moved everything possible upstairs to the lumber room, and a lot of it never came back down. With more lumber coming in it was getting hard to move up there, so I have spent the last several days doing a cleanout of stuff that has been there long enough that I know it never will get used. Not tools so much as jigs and offcuts. I don't know how many times I have muttered "What was I thinking?" Anyway one dump run down and another to the re-store and dump today- and it's still full! But now it's useable lumber and stuff that will get used (sure) and I can see it. So take heed youngsters and don't do what I did.