Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much does a DC cost to run?

Chris, I bought a cheap 1hp DC from Harbor Freight for the tools that don't create a lot of dust. I haven't moved into my shop yet so I'm working in my basement. A number of tools are mobile but a few aren't, like my bandsaw. Often I wouldn't bother connecting up my larger DC for small projects which lead me to want something small. But I didn't really want to invest too much only to find that it didn't work as well as I hoped. What I have found is the 1hp DC is much quieter than my larger one.

Since getting the 1F I have mounted the small DC to the wall next to the CNC. I've been a little lazy and still use the bag that came with it but I'll be upgrading to a pleated filter for it before the end of the year. So far the only time it hasn't kept up with the CNC was when I screwed up. I was using a 1/4" endmill and somehow it was making a 1/2" deep pass at a high rate of speed. The cut was only 1/4" wide and the chips were packed into the cut very tight. After about 15 minutes the bit broke. I'm using a dust boot that is designed for a 4" flex hose, so that could be helping.

If your 1.5hp DC works good I would dedicate it to the CNC and then get a larger one for the rest of the shop. I know it's not the "bigger is better" mentality that some people like but I just can't see doing things like running a 5hp air compressor to run an air drill when an electric one will work just fine and use a fraction of the power. I've actually thought about getting another nicer 1hp dust collector for the CNC. I don't have a picture of it on this computer.

Thanks Alex, I'll most likely use my existing DC for a while, I doubt the extension will be built much before mid '22, the construction industry is nuts in this area so it's hard to find contractor to do extensions and the like.

I would like to see that unit you are considering.

I'm still waiting on the wider Journeyman rail so I haven't finished setting it up how I want but this is where I'm at right now.
    OneF.jpg

Where I live we pay about 18 cents per kilowatt hour.

That works out to 20 cents an hour for my cyclone……Rod.

Blog Entries
    I pay just under $.07/kwh & my collector costs between $.20 - $.25/hour, depending on which or how many blast gates are open.