Thread: Powermatic 719 or Domino

Powermatic 719 or Domino

I have been looking for a PM 719 on and off recently. One of my friends thinks I should forget about the 719 and instead turn my thoughts towards a domino. I can see pros as well as cons for either choice. Do either of these show up on the used market often. Which tool would you choose for general furniture work? Would be willing to travel for the right machine.

I have a Powermatic 719T, a Domino DF500 and a metal Pantorouter, all not far apart in price.

I've done quite a few M&T joints on both the PM719 and Pantorouter.

I use the DF500 more for alignment, when joining boards or for plywood joints, although the floating tenons are a nice plus.

Of these three tools, the first one I would sell is the PM719T. It makes great mortises, but you still need to make the tenon, the Pantorouter will do both quickly, accurately and repeatably.

I'll sell you my PM719T, with rolling base and chisels, three of which have never been used, but I think we are a little far apart.

If I had the space, I would have the 719, but I don't. So I have a domino.

I had a 719 and sold it immediately after acquiring a DF700. 80% of my joinery is hidden and the domino will lap a 719 many times over for the same size joint. For the 20% of exposed joinery, I do it by hand, and in that case the 719 wouldn’t have much advantage over the domino. I really can’t stress how much faster and easier the domino system is compared to a chisel mortiser.

I had a square chisel mortiser before, it is similar to the Powermatic 719. I couldnt stand the slowness of it, sold it and acquired a swing chisel mortiser, and then a DF700.

Here is a video of how my swing chisel mortiser work. the mortise measures 1 x 4 x 5.

I have customer specifically ask for traditional mortise and tenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    I had a square chisel mortiser before, it is similar to the Powermatic 719. I couldnt stand the slowness of it, sold it and acquired a swing chisel mortiser, and then a DF700.

Here is a video of how my swing chisel mortiser work. the mortise measures 1 x 4 x 5.

I have customer specifically ask for traditional mortise and tenon.
    I have never heard of a swing chisel mortiser. What brand and model is yours and around what did it cost? I have an old Oliver 94D that I will one day rebuild. I have heard of pneumatic hollow chisel mortisers but not a swing chisel? A pneumatic mortiser is just like a standard hollow chisel mortiser except for it having pneumatic hold down clamps and the chisel plunges with the application of a foot pedal pneumatically.

Wow! That swing chisel mortiser is impressive!

About once a month or so I see the Powermatics on Craig's list or Facebook. The price has creeped up some as they were selling for around $700 to $800 for a good used one. Now they seem to be about a grand. The last used one I saw for sale came with a bunch of chisels for it. I think people who sell them don't like the space they take up vs the amount use they get. They are a one trick pony but I find that once I have it set up the way I want I can make multiple mortises with it very fast. But it also sits out of the way 90% of the time because it's not needed. I think finding a used Domino could be a little harder but I'm sure there's people who bought the wrong size.

I had a hollow chisel mortiser, a Jet benchtop model. Not nearly as capable as the PC you are considering but I did not use it even once after getting a Domino XL. I knew I would need mortises deeper than 1 inch, the limit of the DF500. But the 700 can do 2 3/4 inch deep mortises. That has not limited me so far. I've made beds, a gate, a dining room table and some case goods with it. My shop is small so the fact that it takes up very little space was a factor but it is far from the only one. My mortises with the domino are cleaner than I got with my hollow chisel mortiser - also not a huge factor. The biggest factor which convinced me to buy my one and only Festool is the speed with which you can make an accurate mortise.

Using a domino does not need to limit you on mortise width or length. I have made them as long as 6 inches. Just plunge multiple times about 1/2 inch apart. You can also make mortises wider than 14mm. You can overlap plunges that way too.

If you get one and want to buy Festool bits that's fine, I think they are a little better. But CMT and Amana bits work well and are about half as expensive. I broke a CMT 14mm without hitting anything other than wood but it was rapidly replaced under warranty. The replacement worked well until I goofed up and hit a hardened screw with it. That chipped it just like it did to my 12mm Festool bit when I did the same stupid thing with it. I also have yet to buy a Festool tenon. Very easy to use my table saw, planner and router table to make up tenon stock from scrap. I am a hobbiest, however, and what works for me might not be the best idea for those making a living making sawdust. My 10, 8, 6, and 5mm CMT bits have worked without incident.

Also no reason you cannot make the mortise with the domino and still have an integral tenon if you want. It is a bit of a mess to have to glue up twice as many mortises with loose tenons but it is also a lot easier not to have to cut tenons and trim them with a shoulder plane until they fit. Either way works.

I agree 100% and actually did sell my 719t and never looked back. Pantorouter with a DF500 available is a great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I have a Powermatic 719T, a Domino DF500 and a metal Pantorouter, all not far apart in price.

I've done quite a few M&T joints on both the PM719 and Pantorouter.

I use the DF500 more for alignment, when joining boards or for plywood joints, although the floating tenons are a nice plus.

Of these three tools, the first one I would sell is the PM719T. It makes great mortises, but you still need to make the tenon, the Pantorouter will do both quickly, accurately and repeatably.

I'll sell you my PM719T, with rolling base and chisels, three of which have never been used, but I think we are a little far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    I have never heard of a swing chisel mortiser. What brand and model is yours and around what did it cost? I have an old Oliver 94D that I will one day rebuild. I have heard of pneumatic hollow chisel mortisers but not a swing chisel? A pneumatic mortiser is just like a standard hollow chisel mortiser except for it having pneumatic hold down clamps and the chisel plunges with the application of a foot pedal pneumatically.
    Its a Masterwood OMB1V. You wont see many of them around as they stopped making them... I bought it new with a MM16/S400P for $10000 USD

This mortiser has pneumatic hold down in x and y axis, it also use the air to clean the shavings generated, there are multiple stops in Z axis on two aluminum extrusions but I removed it because lack of space.

Here is a detailed video unfortunately it is in Mandarin but a machine is a machine, self explanatory

That works like the long discontinued Maka SM-7 oscillating chisel mortiser. I just facilitated buying one for a friend before I learned how fantastic they are. There are videos online posted by Mark from Solidwood machinery.

A similar machine is still made by the Italian company Framar

Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t bother with the Powermatic. Rather, an old cast iron mortiser combined with sharp chisels makes for an excellent experience. Hollow chisel mortisers need to be exceptionally rigid and the newer machines aren’t heavy enough in my opinion/experience.,

I like having both a swing chisel and a hollow chisel. The swing chisel is great for longer mortises and the hollow chisel is great for a variety of work including square draw-bores and larger mortises. As example, I cut 1” wide mortises 5” deep recently with the hollow chisel.

Would be nice to have a chain mortiser and round end mortiser as well. I also use the Bridgeport knee mill for certain mortising work on the ends of parts or on finished assemblies.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.