Thread: Turning wheels??

Turning wheels??

I have been away from turning for quite a long while. I am making children's Christmas presents and need 8 wheels , all the same size for two riding scooters. The plans call for wheels 3/4" thick and 5 1/2" diameter. The entire project is white oak.

I cut the wheel blanks, dimensioned them and cut the wheels (sort of round), using a circle cutting jig on my bandsaw. They have some slight, yet noticeable irregularities in their circumference. I also need to drill center holes for the axles.

How could I gang mount the eight 3/4" wheels together in my lathe so that I could clean the edges up and make them all the same? Also, drilling the axles on the lathe at the same would then ensure they are all centered the same.

How do I mount this on my lathe? I have a Robust Sweet sixteen so the lathe is certainly large enough.

TIA, Joe

If you have a 1/4in hole in center of wheel mount on a pen mandrel to turn round if no mandrel use a bolt of size needed hold in a Jacobs chuck tighten with nut bring tail stock up on center
    to bolt and turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter White View Post
    If you have a 1/4in hole in center of wheel mount on a pen mandrel to turn round if no mandrel use a bolt of size needed hold in a Jacobs chuck tighten with nut bring tail stock up on center
    to bolt and turn.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!