I was the high bidder in an online tax auction for a vacant house about 120 miles from here, into which I intend to move next year when I plan to leave the farm where I've been working for the last 20 years, and there are a couple of random questions that I thought I might put before the brain trust here on Sawmill Creek.

It will be at least 10 days before my bid is approved by the county government, and up to a month before the deed is recorded. Does anyone know whether property insurance can cover a property that I don't yet own? Should I be trying to get it insured right away on Monday or should I take my time and just try to get the coverage started at the time of ownership transfer? I am not allowed on the property till the deed is recorded, so I can't have an insurance inspector look at it either, I imagine.

What do I do about getting into the house once I am legally the owner? The nearest locksmith is nowhere close, and I'm not going to care about destroying the old locks/doorknobs, since I will need to put on new ones anyway. I have read a bit about drilling locks, and am also wondering if there is an easier way, like maybe cutting the old knob off the outside with an angle grinder or sawzall? Also, would it be wise to proactively notify the state police that I am planning to break into my own house, or should I just be prepared to show them the paperwork if they turn up?

I've bought a lot of things at auctions but never a house (I've never even owned one before) so I am a bit out of my depth here. I'm excited to be moving up to the Adirondacks, and switching my business to full time. I'll be grateful for any advice.