Thread: Help fixing Rockler router fence

Help fixing Rockler router fence

With my Incra backordered 6 months I’m trying to get my Rockler router table/fence functional. The problem is that the fence won’t lock down tightly.

The table is pretty easy to describe, it’s got two slots straight through with 2 M10 hex bolts (half threaded) sticking through the table, fence, spacer and knob. As I tighten the knob the hex head spins.

The slot is the exact size as the M10 and the slots go straight through, so there is no extra groove to use a T Bolt.

I thought of putting wing nut on an M10 full threaded bolt, which would kind of work as a TBolt, but the slot is to narrow for anything on the bolt. I tried putting a fender washer under the head hoping the larger surface area would help but it still just spins.

It’s tempting to route some grooves into the bottom of the slot for a TBolt but that seems iffy strength wise. It’s not a very thick table so I’m worried it would just splinter when I torqued it down if it was thinner.

I thought of glueing some wood rails alongside the groove underneath so TBolts would work, but I doubt the glue would stick to the material. Screwing or nailing it in seems iffy because the Rockler tables aren’t very thick.

I could try welding some wings onto the hex bolt but my welding probably isn’t up to anything strong enough. Plus I suspect the wings would just dig into the sides of the groove and ruin the groove.

I suppose I could use a wrench every time I go to adjust the fence, which at least makes it work.

Any suggestions? The Incra is roughly 6 months back ordered and I’d like a router table in the meantime.

Photos would help. So the bolt head spins in the track because it's not large enough? What are the slot dimensions?

Wow, never seen a rockler table without a T-slot groove. Mine is used, and might be 20 years old with T-slot.

As Ronald said, photo's would really help. That being said, I will throw out an idea.

Route the existing slot wider, then make a wooden piece the width of the new slot (sloppy), drill a hole the size of the bolt in the new piece, and epoxy it to the bolt. Bingo, Mickey Mouse, T slot setup.

OR:

Alternate method to just try out......put a wing nut firmly on your existing bolt, so that the wings go into the current slot, and you can test out the above without cutting anything up.

This is based on what my imagination see's as your description....may not be correct.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-25-2021 at 1:44 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Get something like this and modify as needed until it fits the slot.

https://www.mcmaster.com/slab-base-w...rement~metric/

0EFD1C23-2655-489F-9297-5FC9DF63F8B9.jpg

0EFD1C23-2655-489F-9297-5FC9DF63F8B9.jpgthat’s the underside of the table

i did try an m10 wingnut above the spacer and that works in theory. The half threaded means it won’t work but I can buy new m10 bolts

thanks off to get some bolts

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    0EFD1C23-2655-489F-9297-5FC9DF63F8B9.jpg

0EFD1C23-2655-489F-9297-5FC9DF63F8B9.jpgthat’s the underside of the table

i did try an m10 wingnut above the spacer and that works in theory. The half threaded means it won’t work but I can buy new m10 bolts

thanks off to get some bolts

thanks
    What you need is called a tap bolt that has threads all the way to the head. It appears to me unless I am missing something that a tee nut would work there. The smaller part is engaged in the slot and the large part will be in the open. Unless the slot is to narrow. Then the idea of enlarging the slot might be necessary.

Thinkin’ out loud here: how about taking say a 1.5”x1.5”x ¼” piece of plyw’d or Masonite with a hole for the bolt. Apply epoxy on the bottom to hold the bolt in place. Add some sandpaper to the plyw’d/Masonite to keep it from turning when tightening the fence down. Have no' idea how well it might work.

Question: Did you buy the jig new and did these bolts come with the jig? They don't look like they would work. Depending on the thread size on the plastic clamp handle, T-bolts might work.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 09-25-2021 at 5:21 PM.

Just buy some of these:

Capture321.jpg

They will ride in the slot under the table, and prevent spinning. You can get a knob with the M10 stud, OR, get a slightly longer bolt, and thread it into the Tee nut from the bottom, and be able to use the same knob (in the latter scenario, I would apply some locktite to to lock the bolt into the nut so it doesn't loosen)

Why wouldn't a carriage bolt work here?

Carriage bolt was my first thought, I think it would work...for a while. The T slot nuts would have a lot more surface area, and fit more securely in the table slot with no chance of spinning, compared to the small squared section of the carriage bolt.

Came up with another weird idea. Simply drill a hole through the bolt, about 1/2" from the head, sized to fit a roll pin. If you use the pictured type bolt I would use a washer too.

Is that a phenolic table? If so, it is fairly new. Rockler must know what it should have to work correctly. Have you asked?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    That is a newer table than mine and I cannot tell from the pics. My slots are stepped. The through slot allows the 5/16" bolt shaft and the wider part of the bottom of the slot captures the t-bolt head and prevents it from turning. Is your slot not stepped?

t-bolt-slot-1.jpgt-bolt-slot-2.jpgt-bolt-slot-3.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-26-2021 at 8:25 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The slots are definitely not stepped.

I ordered the T-Slot nuts. Should have thought to look for those myself, thanks.