Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Store These?

How Would You Store These?

So these are thread testers in various sizes. Thing is, they are inconvenient to use when on the cable. I'd rather have them in some kind of box, where I can take them out individually to use. Have you any ideas that don't involve drilling a range of holes to fit the pieces?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 09-25-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Pic would help.

Perhaps an insert for a box with routed flutes that the gauges could just lay in, with foam on the lid to hold them in place when the lid is closed?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Pic would help.
    Ooooooops...

Buy a nut of each size and epoxy them down. Screwing/unscrewing them may get old quite quickly though!

Or, since they all have a hole in the side already for that cable, some skinny dowels or metal rod sticking a half inch or more out of a board may work pretty well.

To expand on Chris's idea put finishing nails in a board and hang them on the existing holes. The head is already friendly to slipping on and off. Just a simple solution. Maybe make a label with all the sizes marked. In my experience you will use a select few frequently and the others will collect dust.

I think keeping them organized would quickly eclipse any issues caused by having them connected. I rarely even ever take them off the hook on the wall to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I think keeping them organized would quickly eclipse any issues caused by having them connected. I rarely even ever take them off the hook on the wall to use them.
    You may be right. Maybe I'm just looking for an unnecessary project. Only concern is, if I have a screw hole in a piece of equipment and I'm trying to find what size it is, then turning that whole string could be a pain.

Blog Entries
    How about one of those long magnetic strips used to hold screw divers and such above a work bench.

It seems that they are all the same length?? - If so, how about a box or case with a row/rows of pilot holes to fit each.... a noce case with a proper lid to keep everything in place.... BTW- what is it, - or are they??

+I on Lee's idea of a magnetic strip.

Take a board, drill a slightly oversized home for each device. Then plane a thin top for it and mount with hinges. Add a clasp.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So these are thread testers in various sizes. Thing is, they are inconvenient to use when on the cable. I'd rather have them in some kind of box, where I can take them out individually to use. Have you any ideas that don't involve drilling a range of holes to fit the pieces?
    This could also be a fun little project for a 3D printer, or even a cnc router if you happen to have either one of those. I can see many different ways to go here - depending on the amount of effort (I mean fun) you want to have.
    David

Mine hang on their cable next to the hardware cabinet within easy reach for reference.

+ 1 for Ed. Are we looking for a solution for a problem?