Thread: Simple coat rack hook clean up

Simple coat rack hook clean up

Planning on making a simple coat rack out of oak and don't want to use metal hooks. Came up with this profile, and it would be wider than 3/4 looking at the face/front, thinking 1-1/4. I cut the depth on the table saw and the other cut to remove the scrap on the band saw. I plan to ease the edges etc...
    My question is what is an easy efficient way to clean up the cut from the band saw blade? I only need to make 4 or 5 of these, so don't want a jig etc.. I think a hand plane used cross grain would just tear up the edges of the wood? I could just use a sharp hand chisel I guess.

Appreciate any suggestions? Thanks Brian

Coat rack bracket.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 09-25-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Brian

For a small number of pieces, I'd likely opt for the really sharp chisel to clean things up myself. Of course, that would mean sharpening my chisels. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chisel or…
    A low angle block plane with a very sharp blade. You won’t get any blowout if you slightly chamfer the edges prior to planing across the grain.

I would suggest cutting the top so it is not 90 degrees. say 10-15 degrees topped up from level. Reduce things from slipping off. Make it 5 degrees or less will work but it will look like you messed up. 15 degrees it is obvious you were not trying for 90.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would suggest cutting the top so it is not 90 degrees. say 10-15 degrees topped up from level. Reduce things from slipping off. Make it 5 degrees or less will work but it will look like you messed up. 15 degrees it is obvious you were not trying for 90.
    Bill D
    So cut the highest top point higher in back than front? thanks brian
    Brian

No other way, so you have to lift a coat up to take it off. higher in the front farthest from the wall. Same way you would angle a nail pounded into a wall to hold stuff.
    Bill D

Got it. Thanks

The lowly file gets no respect. Its a good tool for cleaning up edges and corners without the potential overcut of a chisel.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Two pointers.

One, I would use a rasp and then maybe a card scraper and then sand paper to get to the finishing step.

The second, you are going to have short grain on those. I built a coat rack I don't remember how long ago when one of the kids descended from low orbit back into the house for a few months. Because of time constraints I had to go with metal hooks. I did think of a solution, just didn't have time to execute. Could you laminate three layers of wood for the hooks, sort of a shop made plywood? Something like three layers of 3/8 stock at 0-90-0 degrees to each other? It works for boat cleats on some good sized vessels. Not container ships, but I have seen them on sailing boats over 100 feet long.

Be interesting with contrasting woods like walnut and white oak. Or fumed oak and unfumed.
    Bill D

Those corners may be hard on your coats. Consider Shaker pegs.