Thread: $2 Barn Sale...

$2 Barn Sale...

Rusty & Krusty...spent $2 for this batch...
    Barn Sale, rusty & krusty.JPG
    3" c clamp ( can't have too many clamps)

Miter square is a Stanley No. 501A, and that combo square is a Stanley No.122...still has a level and the scriber ( price tag said 75 cents)as for the block plane
    Barn Sale, sargent va Stanley.JPG
    Seems to be a Sargent Low Angle model....missing the swing arm to lock the cap in place...so..
    Barn Sale, Sargent Wedge.JPG
    They used a wedge..not sure of the model number, yet...price tag did say $1.50.....fellow looked over the pile, and said ..."$2" I simply said .."SOLD"

And that was it for today's little excursion....may go back tomorrow? Maybe not...might need to look around for a Sargent cap iron? Combo Square's ruler is painted black? Keep it that way, or shine it up?

C clamp is stamped...China...might be a Harbor Freight model....as long as it works, I'll keep it around...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Upon further review: The ruler for that Stanley No. 122 had been blued..either a factory job or? the scriber is a press fit, no threads were found. the level does work, not sure how much good it will be..

Under that cap iron on the Sargent MADE block plane....is a 306 and a 307.....in the movable toe plate, there is a 307, and a 314....iron is stamped as a FIRESTONE SUPREME...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-25-2021 at 4:20 PM.

Day 2...stopped by another garage sale....getting close to the end of the season for them. The Boss was riding along. She spotted a Pioneer Woman Knife set...price tag said $10...got it for $8...

Also at that same sale..
    Barn Sale, day 2....cheap saw.JPG
    Price tag said $2....paid $1 for it, mainly for the WS backsaw..
    Barn Sale, day 2, handle needs work.JPG
    Then back to that $2 Barn Sale....and spent another $2..
    Barn Sale, day 2, rest of the booty.JPG
    Sears 1/2" chisel, Stanley No. 120 block plane, and a bevel square sold as a Craftsman BN....

Might take a bit of cleaning...when I can manage the stairs down to the shop....not too bad of a weekend?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-25-2021 at 4:30 PM.

Steven,

Given what you paid, I would say not a bad weekend at all!

Stew

Upon further review....may have to keep that mitre box around....
    Mitre box, up, locked.JPG
    Might need a bit of clean up, though.

Will need a thorough going over, to see what all needs fixed....besides the saw....Patent date is from 1961...( I think I was about 8 years old back then)

Rehabbed what one hand could carry to the shop, today....needed the other hand to get down the steps to the shop....
    Barn Sale,rehab, squares done.JPG
    Squares are now cleaned up, and rust free...light coat of 3in1 oil was wiped down on the bare metal parts..
    Barn Sale, rehab, getting there.JPG
    Craftsman Bevel Gauge, cleaned and oiled up, ready for work..someday... Block planes were cleaned of rust....then a wipe down with the oil. Stanley No. 120 and..
    Barn Sale, rehab, Firestone Supreme.JPG
    Firestone Supreme is stamped into the iron...was made by Sargent as a 307....waiting on paint to dry...
    Barn Sale,rehab, new cap iron.JPG
    Figure Black will look better than red....

Second trip down to the shop to take these pictures....now I am HURTING....

Ok..That Millers Falls Mitre box....needed to lose that warped plank it was attached to...would make things easier to clean it up, wouldn't it..there was a small problem...
    MF Mitre box,rehab start, nails.JPG
    Or, rather 2 small problems....someone had used roofing nails to attach the box to the plank....problem being how to get them back out...
    MF Mitre box, rehab start, too big.JPG
    Not enough room for a claw hammer to get in there and lever the nails out.....there IS another Carpenter's tool available, though..
    MF Mitre box, rehab start, might work.JPG
    Since a "Cat's Paw" won't work. This is not just for a Blacksmith's use...Target identified..
    MF Mitre box, rehab start, roofing nail.JPG
    Couple minutes later...
    MF Mitre box, rehab start, nails pulled.JPG
    Means I can NOW have a look under the hood of this machine..
    MF Mitre box, rehab start, underside.JPG
    Will need to evict the spiders. That 3 lobed thingy tightens up the settings. You set the angle you need to cut, and then tighten things down to keep it there, legs seem to be welded to the fence/back...

Next time I can get down to the shop, I can carry this along (maybe..) and clean the rust off the bare metal parts. Will be a decent "Travel to the Job Site" mitre box.....hey, it is not even 60 years old, yet.

Yard sale season is about over, Rusty & Krusty Tools are getting skimpy.....I think I can wait until next Spring. However, there ARE a few Antique Malls in the area........hmmmm.