Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spin Rite router table motor

Spin Rite router table motor

Woodpeckers put up a short YouTube video on their new 'Spin Rite' motor for router tables. Very nice collet system.

Wonder if it is the same as the Triton table motor.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The "Spin Rite" has an industry standard ER-20 collet system which is a big step up from a typical router motor. ER collet systems bring a huge amount of versatility because you can obtain collets in many specific sizes to match the tooling rather than having to buy tooling to match the collet. That's not a factor for forum tools, but if you start using a lot of spirals in "not" quarter, half, eighth inch sizes, you'll appreciate that flexibility. (especially for CNC work which they mention in the description) Further, collet nuts and collets are "technically" disposables...they do wear and if you drop one on a concrete floor you are supposed to replace them for safety. ER components are readily available from many sources, unlike proprietary locked together router motor collets.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Was glad to see this product because I've been using a PC 7518 in a woodpecker lift for a long long time. Its still going strong but if it dies, I'd probably get the Spin Rite because of the collets. Looking forward to the independent reviews.

It looks interesting. It's hard to tell but it still looks like a universal motor. Since getting a spindle for my cnc router I have come to the conclusion that my next "router" in my router table is going to be a spindle. The difference in noise alone makes it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It looks interesting. It's hard to tell but it still looks like a universal motor. Since getting a spindle for my cnc router I have come to the conclusion that my next "router" in my router table is going to be a spindle. The difference in noise alone makes it worth it.
    Brian Holcomb was looking at doing that. You'll want air cooled for this application, however, because of the inverted position as compared to a CNC machine where you can also opt for water cooled if you want. These spindles do generally use an ER collet which is a benefit, IMHO. Likely either ER-20 or ER-25, depending on the particular spindle, unless you opt for a "monster".
    --

I just read all the info on the Woodpeckers site. It is currently priced at $250. It is made in China.

That pretty much lets me out. I liked the collet system, but fortunately I have two 7518's that are still working fine.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

For a unit with an ER collet system, $250 is pretty darn reasonable, IMHO.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Brian Holcomb was looking at doing that. You'll want air cooled for this application, however, because of the inverted position as compared to a CNC machine where you can also opt for water cooled if you want. These spindles do generally use an ER collet which is a benefit, IMHO. Likely either ER-20 or ER-25, depending on the particular spindle, unless you opt for a "monster".
    I built a router table for a wood working school using a water cooled spindle about four years ago, it is used every day and has had zero problems with the cooling system operating upside down to normal CNC operation. Used with a VFD it is immensely versatile and can be used as a spindle sander as well if needed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I built a router table for a wood working school using a water cooled spindle about four years ago, it is used every day and has had zero problems with the cooling system operating upside down to normal CNC operation. Used with a VFD it is immensely versatile and can be used as a spindle sander as well if needed.
    Good information! I wasn't sure if this was possible...good to know it still is an option because a lot of the more affordable electro-spindles are water cooled.
    --

I received a SpinRite yesterday. I've had the MLCS on backorder since forever so I figured it was worth a try. It fits perfectly in my Mast-R-Lift II. Haven't done anything much with it yet, but I did take a peek under the cover to find one of the brush spring retainer/connectors (yes, universal motor) was flapping in the breeze (unclipped on one side) and several of the spade plugs were loose (both easily fixable). The manual has some typos, and one whole picture is missing (the caption is there, the picture is not!) It all screams really poor quality control to me. I've generally had a bunch of QC issues from WP this year on just about anything more complicated than a square, some bad enough to warrant a warranty call - which they've handled admirably.

That said the collet seems decent - the spindle has plenty of depth inside vertically, way more than a normal router collet, and the motion is good. I ran it up and there was almost no detectable vibration from it. The speed control works well and the whole unit while not quiet is not anywhere near as loud as my PC. I may later measure the runout since they claim it's better than any in its class.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I just read all the info on the Woodpeckers site. It is currently priced at $250. It is made in China.

That pretty much lets me out. I liked the collet system, but fortunately I have two 7518's that are still working fine.

Yeah, was kind of bummed when I saw this motor as I would have assumed a company like Woodpeckerd would could out with something neat with speed adjustment like Jessum did. What turned me off was that Woodpeckers claimed it’s built from the ground up with upgraded electronics. If you look at images online you will see Bora Portamate, Rutlands UK, MLCS, use same design and same exact specs. I am sure there are several more brands that setup contact with this Chinese company and slapped their sticker and plastic color.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luke View Post
    I received a SpinRite yesterday. I've had the MLCS on backorder since forever so I figured it was worth a try. It fits perfectly in my Mast-R-Lift II. Haven't done anything much with it yet, but I did take a peek under the cover to find one of the brush spring retainer/connectors (yes, universal motor) was flapping in the breeze (unclipped on one side) and several of the spade plugs were loose (both easily fixable). The manual has some typos, and one whole picture is missing (the caption is there, the picture is not!) It all screams really poor quality control to me. I've generally had a bunch of QC issues from WP this year on just about anything more complicated than a square, some bad enough to warrant a warranty call - which they've handled admirably.

That said the collet seems decent - the spindle has plenty of depth inside vertically, way more than a normal router collet, and the motion is good. I ran it up and there was almost no detectable vibration from it. The speed control works well and the whole unit while not quiet is not anywhere near as loud as my PC. I may later measure the runout since they claim it's better than any in its class.
    I just measured mine, TIR is <0.002" for both collets, measured at 2" height. Not bad, but certainly not the best, but maybe the 'best in its class', which I couldn't tell.
    My Bosch1617 measured at <0.001" for original 1/4 collet, but it's not from 3+HP range.

Aren’t these the redesigned Bora router motors? I thought I read that somewhere. FWIW, my Bora motor has worked well since I bought it. I know there were some bad reviews early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Aren’t these the redesigned Bora router motors? I thought I read that somewhere. FWIW, my Bora motor has worked well since I bought it. I know there were some bad reviews early on.
    Woodcraft offers a package that includes the Bora router with the ER20 collets, which looks suspiciously similar to the Woodpecker offering:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/b...702d3ae3000b62

If this isn't the exact same router, it appears to be very, very close.

Yep probably white labeled from the same place. Those ER20 collets do look nice.

For those interested, looks like they are clearing out the previous Bora version for $220.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/p...d-router-motor

I have one and it works well. Much nicer than the little Bosch motor I had in my table before (and blew up).