Thread: talk me out of this

talk me out of this

Here is the description of the table saw in question.

2hp left tilt Grizzly table saw G0576. Shop Fox fence. Additional specs listed in pictures. The blade drive shaft is out of alignment but fixable. We decided to upgrade to a more powerful saw as our company has grown. $250 obo.

Pictures are attached.

It looks like parts are available for this saw. I am looking for advice as to get it and fix up or walk away.

Thanks.

I know nothing about this saw but when I Googled it, this is what I found. So if the alignment problem is fixable I'd say go for it if it meets your budget and needs.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/review/...g0576-tablesaw

The fence and motor are almost worth the asking price if the arbor is not repairable.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Items like this can be a good value and I don't know your plans or expectations. If it appears to be in good mechanical condition then the price isn't bad.

However, if you have plans to stay in woodworking and keep improving your skills and projects then the best tool advice is to pay as much as your budget will allow. Every time I have upgraded a tool I have ended up making quite a big jump in tool quality and not only have I not regretted it but I have wished I dug a little deeper for a couple of items.

A high quality table saw is one of my most used and useful tools. My opinion would be to spend till it hurts and buy the best you can afford and have space for.

Buying used can certainly help you get the most for your money. Just don't buy it because it appears to be a good deal for the money.

An arbor (blade drive shaft) that’s “out of alignment “ doesn’t sound too promising.

Especially at the price. Perhaps the fence and motor are worth $125ea. , but unless you’re looking for a fence and a motor right now ………..If you’re looking for a good, usable saw - keep searching.

It's not a bad deal probably. I'm betting the "blade drive shaft out of alignment" is either a pulley moved or the saw just needs aligned. Both are easy. It's a griz, but it does have a decent fence.

More information:

My table saw is a 30 year old G1022 and the fence is really rough. My table top is pitted a bit but workable and everything else works.

I have not seen the saw yet and the owner has said I can have it for $125.

My thoughts were at worst case I have a better fence. Any opinions on the fence appreciated.

I also thought I would end up with a more powerful motor that may work on my old saw. I do have 220 in my shop. I could also sell the motor if that did not work.

The arbor bracket is not available for the G0576, so if that is a mess it can't be fixed. All other parts like the shaft and bearings are available. Any tips on what to look for or the odds of the bracket itself needing replacing?

Thanks

For $125 you could scrap the saw and just keep the mobile base, fence, motor and maybe the blade and be way ahead. If the saw is repairable you're way way ahead.

I would buy it at that price and then see if you have a fixable saw or parts. As others have said parts alone are worth it.

I picked it up yesterday for $120. The blade doesn’t wobble at all. I think the trunnion is out of alignment if anything. Haven’t done any fine cutting yet. Motor is strong and the bearings are solid. Love the fence. It has been used quite a bit but I think there is still a lot of life in it.

thanks for all the comments.

Glad hear it worked out for you, sounds like a great deal.

That is my experience buying used about 95% of the time. I have known what needed to be repaired or was missing when I purchased and figured out what to pay from there. happy to hear that you got a good saw for a great price.