I am in process of getting a new Oneida dust collector and placing it in the basement below the main shop floor. I have tested the remote from my current duct collector from the basement to the main floor to start and stop the (opposite direction but same signal path. It does not always work. The old and new dust collectors are Oneida and the remotes look similar in pictures. The new Oneida is not yet ordered.) I am thinking of locating the motor control box fwhich contains the receiver for the remote in the shop. It would also mean the start stop buttons would be in the shop which would be convenient if the remote gets misplaced. The shop location for the box means the power and load wires would pass through the floor. The wire would have to a bit longer, maybe 10 feet versus 6 feet that is supplied.. Would I need to use Romex cable of appropriate gauge or flexible appliance type cord? The cables can be replaced inside the motor control box. No splices are needed. There does not seem to be any need for flexibility in the cable since the dust collector is permanently installed. I know from previous discussion on SMC that running an extension cord through a wall or floor is not allowed. This is a bit like that.

This is a code compliance issue. The shop wiring for in-floor boxes for the tools has not been done. This installation would be inspected before sheetrock goes up.

I am going to try to route the llight for the Dust Sentry (bin full sensor) to the shop also. It has a sensor lead and a power lead. Only the sensor lead needs to go to the dust collector in the basement. I can plug the power lead in the shop. I believe this is low voltage cable. It also would need to be extended. In this case the connector boxes do not appear to be something I could open. Could I splice the sensor wire (two splices one in shop one in basement)? I would make the splices in boxes that are accessible using crimp connectors and heat shrink insulation..

I called Oneida. The technical sales person was not very knowledgeable about this question. He said it would be fine to splice both wires but I know that is not true.

The new dust collector will be a 5 hp Smart Dust Gorilla with draw 23 amps and will be on a 30 amp 220 breaker using 10 gauge wire to the receptacle.

Another aside about the remote reliability, the floor is 2 layers of 3/4 plywood and 1 layer of 3/4 oak flooring. I will be adding a layer of 5/8 fire resistant sheetrock on the basement ceiling after the ductwork is installed which will add to the attenuation of the remote's signal. I cannot tell until the unit is in place and sheetrock is on if the new remote would work through the floor. At that point, I would not have access from basement to shop and it would be too late to move the controls and sensor upstairs.