Thread: Electrical Connections for Dust Collector Motor Control Box through Wall or Floor.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think you are right to be concerned about range of the remote. I have a V3000. The motor control box with remote receiver is inside a closet with sheetrock walls and particle board doors; all insulated. The remote works fine in most areas of the shop, but when I am at the far side of the shop, which is about 60 feet away line of sight, but around a corner so there is another framed wall in the direct path, the remote is iffy, especially if my body is also in the way. So your plan of moving the control box, or at least the receiver, into the main area is probably a good idea.

And you are correct that you should not run portable cordage through a wall or ceiling or as part of a permanent installation. You can run romex in the wall/ceiling, or conduit with individual conductors; either way you'll need a box at each end.

Splicing the low voltage wire to extend it is fine.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks John and Paul. I was pretty sure John would be ahead of me on this idea. Paul, I realized that since I am not planning to put sheetrock on the inside of the DC closet, the wires will have to be in conduit not bare Romex.

I put a new battery in my remote. It did not improve signal strength that I could tell. I am going to work on the idea some more. I want to keep the remote receiver and motor controls in the existing box and move it to the shop level.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 09-23-2021 at 10:28 PM.

can you add a antenna wire to the receiver. That can be any kind of wire inside the wall as long as it is separated from power cables. Why do you think you need conduit? Romex is fine inside wall but any junctions must be inside a box and that box must be showing so you can open it up without tearing off a wall. You can not bury a junction box inside a wall where it can not be seen.
    Bill D

Bill, the Romex would be exposed inside the closet since I will only have sheetrock on the outside. The exposed studs will give some breathing space to the DC filter. Otherwise the filter would be 1 1/2” from the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Thanks John and Paul. I was pretty sure John would be ahead of me on this idea. Paul, I realized that since I am not planning to put sheetrock on the inside of the DC closet, the wires will have to be in conduit not bare Romex.

I put a new battery in my remote. It did not improve signal strength that I could tell. I am going to work on the idea some more. I want to keep the remote receiver and motor controls in the existing box and move it to the shop level.
    You can also use MC (armored) in lieu of conduit, if I'm not mistaken, but working with PVC conduit is really easy for small jobs like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I forgot to mention the box holding my receiver and other electronics is a plastic box.

Also, if your receiver isn't sensitive enough, you might try another one. I found the same one on Amazon that ClearVue was supplying to switch the contactor for the 5hp cyclone. (These switch 110v) They were cheap enough I bought a few extra to have spares in case of a failure and to give me extra remotes. One receiver/remote cost less than ClearVue wanted for a spare remote.

JKJ