Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Target Coatings Emtech fisheye problems

I've been using Sealcoat under WB finishes for over 10 years, almost always full strength. Only once did I have a crazing problem, and it was really minor and was over 3 or 4 coats of Sealcoat + Transtint toner coats. Used as a single coat sealer I've never had a problem, and that includes when used under EM-8000CV. Most of the time, however, it's been under GF's products. GF has similar warnings about using EnduroVar I over shellac; I've sprayed gallons and gallons of it and never had a problem.

As far as I can tell Sealcoat works fine under WB products.

John

Thanks for the update!! I will say that a number of years ago, Jeff replaced a "bad container" of finish for me, too...I think it was a similar issue, although it wasn't EM7000 since that wasn't even a gleam in his eyes yet.

Good tip about the SealCoat. I'll have to start trying to reduce it going forward for the reason you mention.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Roger, he flew through that explanation fairly quickly, so I may not be 100% accurate in precisely where the ammonia component comes in, and where it goes. Always understood that dewaxed shellac as such would work under any finish, but obviously, the new formulations that are constantly evolving are new chemistry that is a bit sensitive to it.

Crazing of WB topcoat over dewaxed shellac, specifically zinnser seal coat, was only with one product: Old Masters - Masters armor. Showed up in areas where first coat laid over the shellac seal coat a little too heavy, and caused a perfect crackled finish. Not thoroughly - just in the thicker areas where finish may pool, like where a raised panel meets cope/sticking.

Otherwise, I've had absolutely no problem with it under many different brands of WB topcoat. In fact, to my surprise, I found Old Masters label specifically says do not use over shellac. Unfortunately, I often develop multi-step finishes, often times using a glaze after sealing a stained surface and need that barrier coat, hence the search for another product...