Thread: FS 2 Disston #12, 11 PPI Cross cut Saws, Fully Restored, Sharpened, Tuned

FS 2 Disston #12, 11 PPI Cross cut Saws, Fully Restored, Sharpened, Tuned

For sale, two Disston #12, 26", 11 PPI crosscut saws to benefit Angel Tree charity that supports children and families with incarcerated parents. I personally restored, sharpened and completely tuned these saws for maximum performance and I guarantee them to be the best user in your shop I will gladly refund your money and pay return shipping. I have sharpened and tuned hundreds of vintage hand saws over the last 25 years, which I use on a daily basis and have shared with many of my friends here on SMC. Specs: 12° rake angle, 25° Fleam angle, 15° slope gullet's. The finer pitch 11 – 12 PPI #12's are harder to find and these are my go to favorites for finished cross cuts in all sizes/types of material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	465159

As many of you know, the #12 is the Disston top-of-the-line, here's the description from the Disstonian Institute: “The Disston No. 12 and subsequent D-12 handsaw could be considered their top of the line saw, with the possible exception of the Victory saws. The saw is a work of art on a mass-produced scale. Like the No. 9 saw, it has London Spring steel. It also has an ornate chip-carved applewood handle with the old-style mounting, the mounting similar to a No. 7. The saw feels big in the hand, quite different from the D-8 and similar, later saws.

What made the No. 12 saw more expensive and higher in quality was the work that went into it. The blade was subjected to more hammer work than lesser-quality saws to give tension to the steel. The controlled introduction of internal stresses into the cold steel through hammering and subsequent tempering, resulting in a "tensioned" saw blade, creates a blade that is less likely to wander or vibrate unnecessarily in use.

Another feature of the No. 12 handsaw is the extra taper in the blade. In order to reduce the amount of set required on the teeth, the No. 12 was ground thinner at the back than other models. Disston claimed the steel was harder in the No. 12 saw, which would enable the saw plate to be ground thinner while still remaining stiff enough stand up to mild abuse. After grinding and hammering, the blade was polished to almost a mirror finish.”

All saws are $185 apiece plus shipping, which is usually around 15 – $20 in conus. This is significantly less than you would pay online and all the money goes to a great cause. All saws are 100% straight, with smooth, shiny plates and no pitting or defects. Plates are near full factory with 7" wide at the heel and 2 1/2 – 2 1/4" inches wide at the toe. Totes are completely solid, rehydrated with oil/varnish soak, two coats garnet shellac and paste wax. Individual Descriptions below:

#1:circa 1896 – 1917 the golden era. Bottom curve of the tote was repaired/replaced by me. Etch is not visible. $185 plus shipping.

Name:	Saw #1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	465160

#2: circa 1896 – 1917. Crack inbottom front of tote is repaired and otherwise is in great shape. Plate has a hang hole in the end. Etch is not visible. $185 plus shipping.

Name:	saw #2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	465161

#3:circa 1878 – 1888. This has the extra lines of carving on the forward part of the tote that were discontinued after 1890. Bottom curve of the tote was repaired by previous owner. Etch is 10% visible. $185 plus shipping.

Name:	Saw #3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	465162

First one to PM me gets the saw . I prefer payment via PayPal but happy to accept whatever is easiest for you. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions etc. (858) 220 – 5611. Thanks for looking and supporting this great cause!

All the best, Mike

In case you are new to the forum community, Mike Allen is recognized as a class individual, a prolific hand tool project poster, and saw fanatic (in a good way). As a very satisfied repeat customer of several saws he offered here to support the same charity in the past few years, i can attest to the fact you will not be disappointed. Mike and his charming bride are the type of people we all would be blessed to have as next door neighbors.

Mike, best to you, sir. Patrick

Dude, you’re making me blush – you’re far, far too kind!

Best wishes to you and yours for your continuing struggle to fight for truth, justice and the American way in the California legal community!

PM sent on #1.

Saw#1 is sold- thanks Michael!

Price reduction: saw # 2 and #3 reduced from $185-$170. Need to find

Help fund Christmas party,with food/entertainment/gifts for kids/families with incarcerated parents who definitely don’t have a lot otherwise. Appreciate your interest/support!

Cheers, Mike

Saw #3 is sold. Thanks for looking.

Bump for Mike. Great cause and it will assuredly become the go to saw in your till. Mike does excellent work. You won’t be disappointed.