Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Shop Reruns, Computer Desk Project

Cool Dungeon Shop Reruns, Computer Desk Project

I had outgrown my old desk....needed better drawer space. Went out and picked up a good supply of Ash lumber....and some 1x Pine boards....needed a plan, besides the one in me head....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up.....then try out a few paper sketches..
    Computer desk, rough plan.JPG
    needed something a wee bit better than this, though..
    Computer desk, knee hole plan.JPG
    getting there...
    Compter desk, side plan.JPG
    Might be able to work from this one...need 3 such "panels" one for each side of the drawer unit, and the third as a "leg" for the other end of the knee hole...

Lumber supply...at least the Ash parts..
    Lumber stash 2.JPG
    Might be enough...the Pine will be for the insides of the drawers....sides and backs. So far, the "plan" is to build the 3 side panels.....then connect them into the drawer unit, and the knee hole unit...then see about the top.....once that is done, I will see about a "hutch"....have a lot of parts to get milled down,,
    Computer Desk Project, first boards.JPG
    Have a few slabs to cut down..
    Computer Desk Project, parts is parts.JPG
    As those 3 side panels will be a Frame & Raised Panel sort of thing.....Raised panels done with a few hand planes, at that. With the "inside" of the raised panel flush with the frame.

Means I need 12 blanks milled down to close to the sizes I need..
    Computer Desk Project, 11 more panels jointed.JPG
    One more to go.....cross cut for length, ripped and jointed for width, and picked for the best grain...
    Computer Desk Project, show side.JPG
    At least on the sides that will show.

This MIGHT take a few episodes....as this isn't Norm's New Yankee Workshop....anyone feel like following along?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I had outgrown my old desk....needed better drawer space. Went out and picked up a good supply of Ash lumber....and some 1x Pine boards....needed a plan, besides the one in me head....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up.....then try out a few paper sketches..
    Computer desk, rough plan.JPG
    needed something a wee bit better than this, though..
    Computer desk, knee hole plan.JPG
    getting there...
    Compter desk, side plan.JPG
    Might be able to work from this one...need 3 such "panels" one for each side of the drawer unit, and the third as a "leg" for the other end of the knee hole...

Lumber supply...at least the Ash parts..
    Lumber stash 2.JPG
    Might be enough...the Pine will be for the insides of the drawers....sides and backs. So far, the "plan" is to build the 3 side panels.....then connect them into the drawer unit, and the knee hole unit...then see about the top.....once that is done, I will see about a "hutch"....have a lot of parts to get milled down,,
    Have a few slabs to cut down..
    Computer Desk Project, parts is parts.JPG
    As those 3 side panels will be a Frame & Raised Panel sort of thing.....Raised panels done with a few hand planes, at that. With the "inside" of the raised panel flush with the frame.

Means I need 12 blanks milled down to close to the sizes I need..
    Computer Desk Project, 11 more panels jointed.JPG
    One more to go.....cross cut for length, ripped and jointed for width, and picked for the best grain...
    At least on the sides that will show.

This MIGHT take a few episodes....as this isn't Norm's New Yankee Workshop....anyone feel like following along?
    Wouldn’t miss it.

Well, first I needed to move a few planks to the shop....
    Select through the stack...looking for those panels...and avoiding some places...
    Compter Desk Project, junk board.JPG
    Junky wood like this, or knotty stuff...
    Computer Desk Project, not any better.JPG
    I try to cut around such defects. Have 12 panels to get trimmed to final size...rough edges jointed off...flattened a bit IF needed. Can let these sit a day, or two...more planks get ripped for width...
    Computer Desk Project, 6 stiles.JPG
    Need 6 stiles.....nd a bunch of rails to go between them

Computer Desk Project, 15 rails.JPG
    15 rails...there was a problem...some were 3/4" thick, some were almost 4/4" thick...
    Computer Desk Project, thickness problems.JPG
    Set the rip fence to match the 3/4" thickness...and run the thicker ones through...
    Computer Desk Project, stiles and rails.JPG
    Stiles and rails...all need to be square on the ends, rails need to all match for length...as do the stiles. IF I have a bunch to do, I just gang them up into a "bundle", and run them through in one pass to square an end, flip the ganged up mass around, and trim them all to the correct length t the same time.
    Computer Desk Project, ganged up.JPG
    Stiles, because they were so long, I needed to clamp the bundle to the mitre gauge...Had to watch where the bundles 2 clamps went....both to clear the miter guage, and give me a spot to clamp the bundle to the mitre gauge..
    Stay tuned..next time, we mill some tenons, and plough some grooves...LOTS of grooves...

All squared away?
    Computer Desk Project, square now.JPG

Do the easy ones first...stiles need a single groove...pick the edge that you DON'T want to see again...set up in the jig according to the direction of the grain..
    Computer Desk Project, groove clean out.JPG
    One down, 5 to go....then clamp all 6 together, and set up to work on the rails.
    .Computer Desk Project, quitting time!.JPG
    As a couple wanted to bow a bit...used the others to control things, for now...want them as straight as can be, later. The groove is to house the raised panels....I will need to also chop a mortise where each rails attaches...For now? reset the jig, and run a bunch of grooves in the rails.....the "top" and "bottom" rail will get a single groove, the others will get 2 grooves, one on each edge...as they will be holding onto 2 panels, instead of just one....
    Computer Desk Project, tenon trimmed.JPG
    These are next....groove is 1/4" deep...then add in another 1/4" to sit into a mortise = 1/2" tenons on each end...Many ways to do this...today was the tablesaw's turn..
    Computer Desk Project, tenon maker.JPG
    Tenon cutter....Set up to cut a centered tenon...only have 30 of these to do....
    Computer Desk Project, 30 tenons.JPG
    Whew...I think that will do for today....mortises can wait a day....need to start raising panels....as I need to know where the mortises need to be. I'll chop a mortise for the top rail..then use a raised panel to mark out where the next rail needs to be....Once one stile is done ( in theory..) I can mark out the rest of the stiles for their mortises....I hope. I also have a special Mortising Jig..
    Compter Desk Project, mortise jig...JPG
    Allows me to clamp a part to the top of the bench, to where it will not move while I be a chopping away....

So, next episode? We be raising a few panels....with a few hand planes....
    Stay tuned...

Ok, so...raise a panel, with hand planes. yes they did make those wood bodied planes that can raise a panel...hard to find one these days. Router/shaper cutter can also do the job....I don't have a shaper ( no room) and most panel raisers seem to be a bit too big for my use.....so..will use a method by Paul Sellers....adapted to fit my shop, and not worry about filming it...same layout steps, though....

Select a panel, chose which face you want to show, other face can be scroungy as all get out, as only a drawer will see it.
    Draw a couple stop lines...
    Computer Desk Project, 2 stop lines.JPG
    1/4" down from the face, and usually 1 to 1-1/2" back from the edge....these are where the bevel STOPS at. I do both ends first..
    Computer Desk Project, ends first.JPG
    #4 smooth plane, going at a diagonal to the grain. looking for a nice flat, smooth bevel....not worried too much about any tearout at the edge...as the next step will take care of that...
    Computer Desk Project, side bevels 2.JPG
    This time around, I only worry about the top stop line...have a better way to tell when I am done. A #5 jack because of the longer sole. I hold the plane at the angle of the bevel, and just plane away the waste..
    Computer Desk Project, outside view.JPG
    I stop when the end bevel and the edge bevel meet at a 45 degree corner. Turn the board around, and complete the other side. Now, since I want the inside to be flush with the stiles and rails ( drawer guides?)

I need a rebate milled around the edges...
    Computer Desk Project, inside view.JPG
    However you want to mill these....long grain edge were done with a Stanley #45....

Computer Desk Project, rebate.JPG
    Again, end grain first...with a spur to help...retract the spur..
    Computer Desk Project, 45's shavings.JPG
    Until the rebates match....have 12 panels to do like this...might take a while...
    Stay tuned. Be sure to test fit each as you go...

Yeah if it was New Yankee work shop it would be a stack of wood and then a desk "and that's how you build a desk".

Ok..need a mortise for the tenons to go into...start at the top of a stile.
    .Computer Desk project, mortised.JPG
    this is the mortise for the top rail....rest of the stiles will follow along...I hope...Not worried about a haunched tenon, here...top will be covered, and the one down at the bottom....meh...main thing is the top and bottom rails only have one groove milled, and that goes towards a panel..
    computer desk project, test fit rail.JPG
    Only have to chop down below the groove in the stile about a 1/4" or so...get this one fitted..grab a panel, and lay out the next rail's location..
    Computer Desk project, first rail set.JPG
    And right on down the stile...Transfer the layout lines across the others stiles as you go..
    computer desk project, 2nd side dry fit 1.JPG
    Plan leaves a bit at the bottom, to form a foot.
    When all fitted out.( takes awhile...)
    computer desk project, 2nd side, dry fit 2.JPG

Set this aside, and chop the mortises for the other side of the panel...
    computer desk project, other half done.JPG
    Or You could have ganged them up...IF you feel lucky. Anyway, this is what they SHOULD look like when ready for glue and clamps...
    computer desk project, 1st side glued up.JPG
    Then work on the other 2 side panels....and get all 3 glued up...we have a lot more stuff to do...
    computer desk project, 2nd side close up.JPG
    IF you want, You can stop at just 2 side panels, for now.....as we need to rebate for a 1/4" plywood back, and web frames for the 4 drawers. Plan is to get the drawer unit done first..and base the rest off of that...
    Stay tuned...BTW: I went ahead and glued up that 3rd side panel....want to see which ones looked best, and have them as the outside faces....the worst of the 3 will be inside the knee hole, with the drawers beside it..2nd best will be the leg unit, that the knee hole unit sits on.

Next exciting episode? Web Frames...stay tuned.

computer desk project, first rebate.JPG
    Once out of the clamps, and the 2 sides of the drawer unit have been chosen...around in back, I need this milled. A rebate to house the plywood back. How you make it is up to you...have used a electric router, a Stanely No. 78 and the Stanley 45...needs to be wide enough so I can glue and screw the back on. And, deep enough so the back is flush with the edge..
    computer desk project, rebate 2.JPG
    More noodles being made...no, they are not "see-through" shavings...as I wanted to get both rebates done that day...set as thick as I could get, and still shove that plane along..
    computer desk project, depth checked.JPG
    Something like this will do nicely. This sets how far back the web-frames will go...I also need to know how thick the face frame parts will be. somewhere around 3/4" thick, I think.
    computer desk project, webframe assembly.JPG
    Basic web-frame. This is what the drawers will be riding on. Mortise and tenon at the corners...add a couple brads, to hold until the glue dries...Need 5 such frames built. Wood used was Pine, ripped to about 1" wide.
    computer desk project, 5 webframes done.JPG
    There are a couple items needed done to these..
    computer desk project, countersink.JPG
    Web-frames will get installed via 2 screws. Nice to predrill the holes first, and counter sink them a bit. Screws go into the rails in the sides of the drawer unit. Leave a little rail sticking above the frames, for the drawers to rub against on the way in.
    computer desk project, kicker install.JPG
    This is called a kicker, it keeps drawers from tipping down, when you pull them out too far. These go on the underside of 4 of the frames...bottom frame has no need for one.
    So, that be enough for one day. 5 web-frames are milled, and assembled..and waiting on glue to dry...

Next up? Mill the 5 parts for a "face frame"...would be a start. But, the main task will be to glue and screw 5 web-frames in place on 2 side panels,,,,may need a lot of room on the bench, and not a little bit of cussing. BTW: when assembling those frames...use a square to make sure they are square.
    computer desk project, checked for square.JPG

Stay tuned..

Top of the bench cleared off? You are going to need as much room as you can get..
    computer desk project, sanded.JPG
    Might as well sand the inside down first, won't be able to in a little bit. Both sides done? Ok
    computer desk project, frame location.JPG
    This is the location for each web frame....bottom of the frame flush with the bottom edge of a rail....bead of glue on the web frame, and 2 screws to attach each frame...
    computer desk project, first frame install.JPG
    First frame installed. Nice if the side panel is laying down. Also, use a large square across the side panel, to check that the frame is square to the edge....
    computer desk project, 5 frames installed.JPG
    Note: bottom web-frame does not have a kicker. Also, all kickers are to the underside of the web-frames...get all 5 frames installed to this side...and prepare to rotate..
    .Computer desk project, rotate and repeat.JPG
    And repeat...spot/bead on each frame. Once assembled..
    computer desk project, case asembled.JPG
    It could stand up on it's own 4 feet....but, lay it down on it's front. You'll need a pre-cut 1/4" plywood panel for the back of the case. Mark along the rebate where the frames are..as one screw will be installed into the frames. Use the plywood back to make sure the case is square. Glue and screws. Run down one rebated edge...check for square...clamp to pull into square IF need be..then screw the other side down to the case...and then it can come off the bench..
    computer desk project, back installed.JPG
    And stand on the floor, and be moved to where I can work some more on it....
    computer desk project, face frame parts.JPG
    These are the parts some call a face frame. They get glued to the front of the webframes....ripped to allow for the kickers, top one will be a bit taller, as well as the bottom one...

That will be in the next episode...stay tuned..

I remember that project Steven. Good one.
    Jim

"Face Frames"...Not really a frame...just goes where one would expect...Top piece at the top, connects by way of half dovetails to the sides...
    computer desk project, face frame install.JPG
    The rest get glued to the front of the webframes...goal is to be flush where a drawer will slide in, yet cover the kicker under the web frame...
    Computer desk top, corner brackets installed.JPG
    There has to be room at the top, to allow for these corner brackets. As these are used to attach the top of the desk to this drawer unit. 2 up front, and 2 in back. They get attached to the webframe.

Next up? I need 2 web-frames....to connect this drawer unit to the leg panel...
    computer desk assembly, moving day.JPG
    But, this has to hold 2 drawers, side by side.
    computer desk assembly, drawer runner.JPG
    More details. I remember I used Ash for the front of the frames. Center divider sits in a dado into the bottom frame. Corner brackets are a bit different...
    computer desk assembly, corner blocks.JPG
    Tenons fit into the groove in the stiles....and a screw attached to a rail...
    computer desk assembly, corner brackets installed.JPG
    Tenon glued in place, and a screw and glue for the other end. Only need these at the top frame's corners. Bottom frame is attached to the sides by other means...

computer desk assembly, pilot hole.JPG
    However, the corner brackets are added after the double web-frame is attached to the drawer unit. That pilot hole is for a screw to go through the frame, and into either the drawer unit or the leg panel...Discovered I only needed the corner blocks out at the leg end. Had to make sure the screw for the corner bracket missed the other screw's location...
    computer desk assembly, details.JPG
    Leg unit laying on the bench, so I could attach the frames to it.

Stay tuned...

Time to attach the leg unit to the drawer unit....brackets were needed, because I had to adjust the bottom frame until it was straight. Used a block of wood that would be the right height as the drawer fronts..
    computer desk assembly, assembly started.JPG
    There is a back to the double frame unit....a board was sized to fit between the two frames...divider was set in to allow for it....board was sized to THAT spot...and glued to the frames...The metal brackets?
    computer desk assembly, Stanley brackets.JPG
    Even had a Stanley part number....needed pilot holes for the screws, and a bit of wax. Time to attach to the drawer unit...needed clamps to pull things into alignment, and then the metal brackets..
    computer desk assembly, 3rd braket.JPG
    Top frame used the holes through the frame's end...into the side of the drawer unit....had all this up where I could work on it...
    computer desk assembly, up where I can work.JPG
    Between the drawer unit and the leg unit, around in back...there is a plank to keep the leg from spreading out....during any moves that will be coming up...
    Computer Desk Assembly, foot rest.JPG
    Also acts as a "Foot Rest" for my big feet. It took 2 people to sit this thing down onto the floor ( needed my tablesaw back, after all)
    computer desk assembly, moving day.JPG
    It got walked over to the bench...where I could finish up the brackets that will attach the top with....They will need drilled for slots so the screws can move with the top.
    computer desk assembly. inside details.JPG
    All assembled...waiting on a top and 6 drawers. Next episode? Will be that top....

Stay tuned..

A top for this desk....begins as a glue up...Need a stack of 1x6 planks, cut roughly to length...
    Computer desk top, 5 blanks.JPG
    Trim the worst areas off...
    Computer desk top, scrap.JPG
    Until 5 decent blanks were stacked up...as such, these would yield too wide of a top....was able to rip some bad areas along the edges, like this one..
    Computer desk top, knotty.JPG
    Did not feel I need that knot in the middle of a BIG panel....Snapped a cut line...
    computer desk top, blue lines 1.JPG
    Circular saw to make the rips.....
    computer desk top, jointed edge.JPG
    Stanley No. 8, Type 7 to joint the edges...some needed a wee bit more than others...
    Computer desk top, Stanley No. 8.JPG
    Fit the size of the plane to the size of the work...need to have straight edges in order to get a glued up panel...
    computer desk top, test fits.JPG
    Went along, and test fit the boards for best fit, and to tell me about any gaps....3 done, had 2 more to do...
    computer desk top, 2 more to do.JPG
    And, when all 5 boards can sit like this, with no gaps, and NO glue....

Stay tuned...a glue up is next...

Right...a glue up...after the last edge had been jointed and no gaps seen....started to stack the other 4 boards on the last one....trying for best figure..wasn't too concerned about a bow here or there..Bead of glue, moosh things around until it "sticks" and on to the next...pipe clamps and cauls as I went....seemed to work out better than laying flat (almost) on the tablesaw...panel was longer than the tablesaw was wide, anyway
    Computer desk top, glue up 2.JPG
    cauls and c clamps to pull things flat as I could....hand planes will correct later..
    Computer desk top, glue up 1.JPG
    And let this sit a day or two.......

Clamps came off, slowly. Hopefully nothing moved.....ends were a tad wavy, and needed to be squared up....panel is to big to do that on the tablesaw, so...
    Computer desk top, no longer wavy.JPG
    Cross cut jig for the circular saw....Mark a line to cut to...mark a second line to set the fence to....difference is the distance between the edge of the saw's foot plate, and the blade of the saw....to where I can at least split the cut line. Each end of the panel is now squared up....which leaves the underside and topside to flatten...
    Computer desk top, glue joint scraper.JPG
    Glue joints scraped down...dried glue won't hurt this N0.70....
    Computer desk top, under side cleaned up.JPG
    Stanley No. 5-1/2, Type17 Jumbo Jack to flatten the underside...does not need to be "pretty" just needs to be flat...flip the top over..
    Computer desk top, Jumbo Jack.JPG
    Jumbo at work....top is clamped down so I am not chasing it across the shop..
    Computer desk top, flatten the top.JPG
    Getting closer.....Sanders also helped out....
    Computer Desk Top, round corner.JPG
    "Front" corners were cut to a rounded profile, hate a sharp corner into my hip. Almost done...sanded to 100 grit
    Stash the desk and the smoothed, flat top out of the way....had a lot of drawer parts to mill..that will be up next...

Stay tuned..

Well, trying to sit at the desk and do a blog.....left hip is causing even trouble, I could not even finish rehab today on the Right knee...just too much OW factor. On a scale of 0-10, what would I rate the steady level of pain at? 12. painkillers making things a bit "foggy".....Will try to update this blog.

Drawers?
    Started with the 4 full sized drawers first....will then go about the 2 skinny ones once the first 4 are done....Need some Ash for the drawer fronts..
    Computer Desk Drawers, fronts.JPG
    Arranged for grain patterns, made slightly oversized....will fine tune the fit, later...

half blind dovetails? While I am sure there are more "Proper" ways to do these....and more than a few blogs/videos....I came up with one I can live with, for now...
    Computer Desk drawers, router set up.JPG
    Involves a hand held router....drawer front gets clamped into the vise. Goal here is the base hits the benchtop, at the same time the bit reaches the baseline. If it doesn't go quite to the baseline, that's fine, I can always square up and clean up the sockets to the baseline...
    Computer Desk drawers, chisel clean up 2.JPG
    Note: wear either a full face mask, or at least a good pair of googles. You will be looking straight down at the work, YOU set the spacings by eyeball. Then clean things up with a chisel..
    Computer Desk Drawers, 4 fronts grooved.JPG
    However, first I need grooves to house the plywood bottom milled....as one tail needs to line up with that groove...
    Computer Desk Drawers, dovetail test run.JPG
    Since I didn't want the groove to show...
    Computer Desk drawers, router aftermath.JPG
    Then the router can have at it....there is a "stop line" right at the top of the jaw of the vise....this is how far down the entire router travels.....takes a bit of layout work, to get the space just right...about a 1/16" short of the Baseline....then the chisel to square things up. I think I went ahead and routered all 8 ends...As for the grooves..
    Computer Desk Drawers, plough jig 1.JPG
    Stanley #45 needed a jig, to hold each panel still, long enough for a groove to appear....Once the sides (Pine) were milled for size...I could re-use this jig and add a groove to them..will be important after a bit..
    Computer Desk Drawers, 8 sides grooved.JPG

Trying to remember whether I cut the tails next, or a dado to house the back of the drawers...
    Anyway...both will happen in the next episode...

Stay tuned...