Thread: lie nielson hand plane rust removal

lie nielson hand plane rust removal

Noticed some rust on the bottom of this plane. Removed the rust, there was no pitting, but it did discolor the metal. Cleaned everything, sharpened the blade and oiled the plane and wiped it off with paper towel before reassembly. Anything else I should do to prevent the rust from coming back? Odd, I have some Woodriver(Woodcraft brand) planes in the same drawer and no problem with them?
    Thanks.
    Brian
    Brian

My condolences. Some suggestions. Get a temp and humidity with high/low memory. You can get two for about $20 on Amazon. This will help you keep track of rust causing conditions. On most iron compositions, 50% relative humidity is the threshold for forming rust. Some coatings may be more protective than oil. Fine Woodworking did some comparative tests and found CRC-36 was best. If you live in Florida, coastal Texas or similar adverse climate, a metallized ziplock with some VCI paper is the ultimate long term cure for a single tool or part. I use a dehumidifier in the shop. My shop is tight enough that I can keep the whole shop under 50% RH.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    My condolences. Some suggestions. Get a temp and humidity with high/low memory. You can get two for about $20 on Amazon. This will help you keep track of rust causing conditions. On most iron compositions, 50% relative humidity is the threshold for forming rust. Some coatings may be more protective than oil. Fine Woodworking did some comparative tests and found CRC-36 was best. If you live in Florida, coastal Texas or similar adverse climate, a metallized ziplock with some VCI paper is the ultimate long term cure for a single tool or part. I use a dehumidifier in the shop. My shop is tight enough that I can keep the whole shop under 50% RH.
    I have a dehumidifier in my shop in the basement @50%. Can I put plane I a Ziploc with paper towel with oil on it? Thanks Brian
    Brian

Get an Altoids can. Cut a terry cloth or microfiber cloth into a size that will fold neatly in the can, with a little puff rising from the top. Spray the cloth with Camellia oil. Keep the can on your bench. After EVERY use, run the open can along the plane to wipe the sole and sides with the cloth. If the plane looks too oily afterward, just graze it with a clean paper towel. Then put the plane away.

Thanks appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I have a dehumidifier in my shop in the basement @50%. Can I put plane I a Ziploc with paper towel with oil on it? Thanks Brian
    The VCI paper is volatile corrosion inhibitor. The purpose of the ziplock is to keep those volatiles from escaping. I don’t think the oily paper towel would help. Have you checked your dehumidifier? It may not be working. They are very short-lived appliances around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Noticed some rust on the bottom of this plane. Removed the rust, there was no pitting, but it did discolor the metal. Cleaned everything, sharpened the blade and oiled the plane and wiped it off with paper towel before reassembly. Anything else I should do to prevent the rust from coming back? Odd, I have some Woodriver(Woodcraft brand) planes in the same drawer and no problem with them?
    Thanks.
    Brian

Scotchbrite would do nicely

Just an observation....if you will. When I use one of my iron planes, I rub the sole with an old, plain candle. Theory being that in actual use, the parafin wax ( just a few squiggle lines are used, spread out on the sole) will spread out across the length and width of the sole, in a very thin, yet very slick coating. wax stays on the metal, BTW. Any wax that does get on the wood, is then scraped back off by the plane iron.

Note: after you rub the sole, HANG ON! As that plane will slide...........! Haven't had any trouble with rusty soles, since. Rust bunnies on the sides of a iron plane? Blame YOUR fingerprints. So, when you are about to set that plane down....wipe the sides with a rag that has a bit of oil in it....( I use 3in1 oil)just a nice THIN coating will do the trick......I can also use a wad of oily 0000 steel wool on the sides, IF the plane has sat on the display shelf a bit too long. Frequent use seems to work best at keeping rust away. Which is why my knee is acting up ( rusty inside?) and I am wearing a brace.....too much just sitting around....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

A protective coating of paste wax going forward would probably be good.

Steven: "rust bunnies" is hilarious and I'm going to use that from now on.

Balistol has been working for me. I keep chisels/planes in bench drawers. The garage has dehumidifier taking me down to 45%

Before I started that I came home one day and all my cast surfaces and all of my planes formed surface rust overnight. I hit with boeshield rust free and scotchbritek, wiped clean, and coated.