Thread: Mounting DC-40 feeder to Felder F900z shaper

Mounting DC-40 feeder to Felder F900z shaper

DC-40 power feeder comes with 1/2" bolts for mounting base plate to machine. Felder F900z drilled and tapped from factory (nice) for 10mm bolts (ugh). Very big difference in mass in those two. Naturally, the internal debate goes like this: Is CoMatic is over-killing with this size, or is Felder over-confident in the smaller 10mm bolt?
    While I don't really feel like re-drilling and tapping for the 1/2", I certainly am not thrilled about the 10mm bolt slopping around in the 1/2" holes in the casting. Thought of tapered seat, but that could lead to strain/cracking of the casting, so perhaps a bushing, if I stick with 10mm...

So off to the hardware store I go for 1/2-13 tap or 10mm bolts.

What would you buy in this situation?

Jeff

I would stick with the 10mm bolts. Get whatever the metric equivalent to a standard grade 5 bolt is.

Good quality 10mm bolts, my Felder shaper has the same. No issues with mine.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Sounds good - Felder group members suggested these:

from McMaster-Carr, which look fantastic. Only thing I'm uncomfortable with is the 16mm thread length is fixed - only option available is shoulder dimension for a change in length. I'll check for a bushing to take up the slop, if I can find appropriate length/hardness rating from local source.

Thanks!

Jeff those do look great.

I'm not a fan of mounting a feeder to the table but if the cast iron is thick, I'd drill and tap assuming you don't run into the webbing and can't access the bottom for a nut. Less than a 30 minute job. Dave

You could probably go to McMaster and get a 10mm ID x 1/2" OD (or 3/8" ID) headless bushing to take up the slop if you feel the need. Honestly once you torque the 10mm bolts down the base isnt going anywhere. Id most definitely opt to not tamper with the factory tapping if the pattern is correct. Heck you may even go to the hardware store and find some bronze/steel sleeves that would take up the slop.

you may even go to the hardware store and find some bronze/steel sleeves that would take up the slop.
    I did precisely as you stated above - slight bore-out of 3/8 x 1/2" bronze bushings, and we're in business. While I like the McMaster option, I didn't have time to wait for shipping.

Thanks for all the replies!