Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor for Router Table

Motor for Router Table

I'm using a Porter Cable 1.5HP, but I was thinking about replacing it with a 2.25HP or larger.

I'm curious what motors SMC's are using in their Router Tables? Please post your setup and if you feel it has enough power.

I have a Porter Cable 7518 in mine. Works great. Very powerful and smooth.

PC 7518, same as Jim.

Old made in Switzerland DeWalt (Rebadged Elu) 625 here. Silky smooth and tons of power.

PC 7518. If it ever dies, I'll probably go with the Milwaukee or maybe one of the no-names. I prefer a big, heavy 15 amp router motor in the table.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IMO, the 7518 is the only real choice unless budget is a real issue. Maybe the 5625, if a good deal presents itself.

It looks like the 7518 and 7519 were discontinued.

Blog Entries
    I use a Bosch 2.25 hp (well they call it that but we all know that's very embellished).
    I have the Porter Cable 7518 that I had in my table before I obtained a router lift. I managed to get a nice top, fence and lift for free from a friend. The only problem is it doesn't fit the PC 7518.
    The Bosch works great and has done well even with 3" bits for raised panels and such. However, one day I'm going to upgrade my lift and put my PC back in the table.

Incra sells the Milwaukee 3650-20 with the Master Lift as an option. It also seems like a pretty good 3.5hp choice.

Milwaukee 5625-20.

Glenn Bradley sold me on it when he described his as "stupid raw power".

I just two weeks ago bought a 1/4" collet for it and have been using a number of 1/4" bits. Man what a difference there is over using those bits in a 1.75 hp Ryobi in my smaller table.

Yeah - Porter Cable in their relentless drive to compete with Harbor Freight have shed the last few quality tools they offered.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    There are motors that look like they'd replace the 7518 motors in lifts. Here's one, there are others but I wouldn't be surprised if they all come from the same factory. A concern I'd have with any of the chinese motors would be replacement collets. It'd be nice if they used the same collet as Porter Cable or Milwaukee or Bosch or something like that.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...r_motor_anchor

The Bora is a cheap direct replacement, got one after one of the 7518's died shortly after they announced the discontinuation of the line. Got an ad from Woodpeckers today announcing that they have one now. I have the Milwaukee and it's a beast.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Yes, there are no Porter Cable routers being made any more. The Milwaukee that you identified is a common alternative with a similar sized body for lift compatibility. There are also bare router motors being sold as "house brands" and from alternative brands like Bora.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have a Milwaukee 5625 and it does indeed have 'stupid power'. Although big & somewhat heavy, it also is a very nicely balanced router & is a pleasure to use freehand as well. It also seems less prone to that awful high frequency chattering vibration that often happens with many routers.

Blog Entries
    My original Milwaukee 5625 is still running in the table since it was installed in 2006.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler