Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some good router table fences?

What are some good router table fences?

I want something better than the Rockler #1 that came with the top.<br>
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have one from infinity tools and it's been great for me. They don't sell it anymore, but I see they have a newer model that looks interesting, with a solid square extrusion for the body of the fence instead of the two piece L shape that most use.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have the full boat Woodpeckers fence. Not cheap but it is a great fence.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I just purchased the JessEm TA Fence to replace my Sawstop Fence. I think JessEm, for the items they make, are the best in the industry. If you went this way I would also suggest the micro adjuster. I looked at the Incra and others as well. The Incra fence has a lot of good reviews, but some of my Incra tools aren't as durable as the JessEm equivalent. The TA fence is milled aluminum as well, not extruded.

I have the Incra Wonder fence and really like it. It doesn’t have the positioner so it fits on a standard table. For what I use the router table for, it does the job. Here is a picture of the fence (not my set up, I copied it from the web). Dust collection through the fence works well and the fence can be offset to allow you to joint a board if needed.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 09-21-2021 at 9:37 PM.

Holy Moses - 26 week lead time for the Incra!
    It does look like a nice one though & I'm in no real hurry with cold weather coming (my shop is my unheated garage).

Blog Entries
    I love my Freud router fence. It is built for a split fence, but I just use a 1-1/8" particle board as a solid fence. One of the best parts is the acrylic bit guard/work hold down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-22-2021 at 9:34 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Jessem here. I don’t have a micro positioner but would like one.

Jeez-o-Pete those fences are expensive. I made mine and it works fine. I’d like a better one but I’d likely build out of Al extrusion before shelling out that kind of cash.

Jeez-o-Pete those fences are expensive. I made mine and it works fine
    Yes - they are.
    It's all relative though.

After downloading and printing out the plans for making a Pat Warner designed fence I realized:
    I lack both the skills and the tools to make my own fence that's anywhere close to what I can buy.

Just like the fence on my table saw.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 09-23-2021 at 9:24 AM.

I build my own years ago, and it is patterned off of the New Yankee Workshop design.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    I have the Incra Wonder fence and really like it. It doesn’t have the positioner so it fits on a standard table. For what I use the router table for, it does the job. Here is a picture of the fence (not my set up, I copied it from the web). Dust collection through the fence works well and the fence can be offset to allow you to joint a board if needed.
    Doug -- hoping to ask 2 questions about your fence. It has a clamp (or two), and that's how it's anchored to the table?

incra_rtf_wf37_detail1_zoom__62236.1304450264.1280.1280.jpg

About what thickness tables can the clamp handle in your estimation? I have a pretty thick metal table, and the picture of the clamp looks like it's pretty specific to a very limited range of table thickness, with only a 1/16" or maybe 1/8" of play. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    Doug -- hoping to ask 2 questions about your fence. It has a clamp (or two), and that's how it's anchored to the table?

incra_rtf_wf37_detail1_zoom__62236.1304450264.1280.1280.jpg

About what thickness tables can the clamp handle in your estimation? I have a pretty thick metal table, and the picture of the clamp looks like it's pretty specific to a very limited range of table thickness, with only a 1/16" or maybe 1/8" of play. Thanks!
    Ed - the fence is anchored to the table with two clamps just like the one in the picture. I have found them to work well and have not slipped. I pulled the manual and it indicates that the clamps are designed to work on tables that are 1 1/8" to 1 3/8" thick (thinner tables just require you to put a spacer in). We are building a new house so we are in an apartment and my son in law is babysitting some of my tools, the router table being one of them. I should be over there in the next few days and can measure it just to confirm.

If you are now considering making your own fence, then here is mine for some inspiration. This is built into the outfeed of my tablesaw, and was completed at the beginning of this year ...

It is a split fence based on aluminium extrusion ...

.. with a lift, dust collection, and basically every feature one might wish.

The build is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered...Adventure.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    Wow!
    That is one fabulous setup!

Yes, it did inspire me. Maybe I'll try my hand at a DIY fence.