Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector recommendations

I had a smaller 1.5 hp DC and it was a good chip collector. I moved up to a 5 hp Oneida and it is much better with the fines. For me a dust collector is a long term investment in my health. As I get older, this becomes increasingly important.

Michael, I read of your existing tool list again and totaled up your square footage again. I am not immune to the siren song of the school of overkill. Given your budget I don't see a good reason for you to look at dust collectors that run on 110/120 volts. I think three horsepower will be adequate for your current stable of tools.

For my own system, as previous, I am looking at what I can do on 110 volts. Also, when I look at my electric bill kwh delivered versus dollars spent, I am paying 28.16 cents for one kwh of the juictricity. Year in and year our Fairbanks has some of the highest rates for electricity in the US. So on the one hand having a built in dust collector system that can pull GPS satelites out of geostationary orbit appeals to my inner man child, I would rather buy a faster boat and have adequate dust collection.

Starting at three horsepower, think long hard about other tools you may want. It does make sense to build the system now to accomodate tools you are likely to purchase in the future. A bigger motor drawing more current will let you incoprporate a taller cyclone that should capture more dust and further reduce the cleaning interval on your cannister filter system.

There might be sizing tools on some of the vendor's websites. I am staying away from them for now, haven't looked for that. In your situation, if I lived somewhere with near average rates for electricity and found a good condition 5hp system on craigslist at a good price it would be very hard to pass up.

I have a Grizzly 1.5hp cyclone. It is a roller and does a good job. At 73 I am not going to replace it, but it was a mistake. I did not want piping all over the ceiling. I wish I had put the DC up in the attic with the debris barrel against the wall downstairs. A single drop and one line on the ceiling with a couple drops and I’d be good. Again, the Grizzly does a good job, but I have 4 & 2’ lines on the floor along with the power cord that gets dragged around too. It is a safety hazard.

I highly recommend a three prong attack
    1- 5hp dust collector/cyclone factory combo with piping to all dust ports 3" and larger
    2- strong shop vac with two internal filters pulling thru Oneida Dust deputy connected to 2" sch 40 pvc that is piped anywhere a 2" hose or smaller connection is needed. This includes routers, circular saws, plate jointers, over blade dust collection on table saw, portable sanders, etc
    3- one or more air filters with nigh merv rated filters, preferably with 2"-4" prefilter and a 12"-24" deep bag filter. Capable of running 24/7, can't run these too much

I started with the 2hp move from machine to machine route, then added a cyclone and hard pipe, then 3hp 4 bag collector in place of the 2hp, currently the 2hp and 3hp are pulling thru a homemade filter box with 27 cannister filters connected to a super dust deputy that is hard piped thru the shop area. still not able to get the dust collection at some machines like I want. Some machines like the 15" wide belt sander are great, SawStop 5hp ICS is ok and some not good. Has too much differential pressure loss thru cyclone. However the cyclone that would lazily pile the sawdust in the bin with the 2hp now pounds the sawdust into the bin creating a big depression of tightly packed dust that takes effort to dig out.
    Some day want to move up to a min 5hp factory cyclone outfit, just money standing in the way
    My air filter is built in under the workbench with old furnace fan pulling thru two 24x24 openings with 24x24x4 pleated prefilters and 24x24x18 bag filters. Bag filters get changed every 10-12 years even tho pressure drop is not high enough to change per manufacture. Prefilters get changed ever 2 months to 6 months depending on how often I am in shop. Frequency went way down when I hard piped shop vac/dust deputy and got hoses for every hand power tool I could get.
    This air filter does get turned on and left run the whole time I am in the shop and sometimes/lots of times left running for days on end.
    Shop vacuum has a cartridge filter and paper bag prefilter, they claim meets HEPA standards have yet to see even a 1/4 cup of dust in the vacuum after the dust deputy and paper filter before the cartridge filter. Running for 4 or more years so far.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 09-23-2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: punctuation and spelling

My dust collector progression has been:

* 1HP Harbor Freight baby bag unit - the bag eventually ripped so off to the ReStore it went
    * Grizz G0548ZP (2HP canister)
    * Jet 2HP cyclone (short cone)

I could have stopped at the Grizzly unit but its impeller guard would get clogged up with woodturning shavings. The CFMs between the Grizzly & Jet are about the same.

I now have a "big" shop (900 square feet) with 6" DWV overhead ducting and the Jet continues to work absolutely fine. I was always planning on putting in a 5HP unit with the shop move but haven't seen the need to spend the money on it.

Thanks everyone. The latest news is that because I can’t expand the shop we are looking at a two story with lift. The dust collector would go upstairs, but we don’t know the ceiling height yet. So everything on hold until then. As far as 3 vs 5 hp I believe in always overdoing something, so height willing, 5hp it is. The only other thing I have my eye on is the Harvey, but that just sounds gimmicky, so haven’t really seriously looked at it. Nice height though.

The Harvey machines are great , by everything I've seen Look at the reviews on You Tube- people love them . But the price , OMG .

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    The Harvey machines are great , by everything I've seen Look at the reviews on You Tube- people love them . But the price , OMG .
    How is the air movement (CFM) compared to the cyclones being mentioned in this thread? (Oneida 3/5hp or Clearvue)?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Price of the Harvey is comparable to the higher end cyclone systems from Oneida and ClearVue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Harvey is interesting and unique form factor. However, the cost compared to cfm is quite high.

The Harvey G-700 was in my budget, but I didn't think I'd be able to get it into my basement shop. The stairs aren't a straight shot and I didn't think I could make the bend. The other concern was the position of the intake port. I had a hard time figuring out how I'd position it in my space.

So it was down to Oneida and Clear-Vue. An effective sound closet would be difficult, so I went with the V3000 because of the "ultra quiet noise level - only 74db at 10ft".

Yea, the intake port position on the Harvey kinda means the shop has to be planned around it to accommodate that specific position for connection to duct work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    If you want to buy my 2 hp Portable Dust Gorilla from 2013, I will be listing it soon in the Sawmill Creek classifieds.
    I would be interested if you haven’t sold it yet

I'm in the "protect your lungs at any cost" group.

I went with a 5HP Oneida, and 2 Jet air cleaners, with a Dylos particle meter. Plus I wear a respirator whenever the particle count is more than typical ambient. Recently I put together a duct taped air cleaner with four 2" MERV 13 filters and a typical HD/Lowes fan. Did that really just as an experiment, but having that cycle on with a timer 3 times a day for 30 minutes has reduced the ambient air particle count to amazingly low levels. So the cheap/homemade air cleaner does work impressively well.

If you can afford it, more is better here. And, IMHO, I believe you really should buy a respirator, and use it. I'm fond of the 3M ones with P100 cartridges, but there are several good ones.

Well, one man's long-winded opinion...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    ... And, IMHO, I believe you really should buy a respirator, and use it. I'm fond of the 3M ones with P100 cartridges, but there are several good ones.
    I agree and also like the 3M respirators with two P100 filters. I have a number of different models I use in the shop and around the farm.
    This is one of the older 6000 series models I bought in 2013
    respirator.jpg

More recently I've bought some of the 7000 series which are more comfortable than the earlier models. I have several of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86

I use these filters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00328IAO0

Also, the full-face models can use the same filters, I keep a couple of these:

respirator_full_face2.jpg

JKJ