Oh boy, reading the archives I can see this is not a simple question, which makes me feel good because I am completely lost.

I have never owned a dust collector mostly due to inability to figure out what I need, and that needs to change. So, let me go over my shop, my needs, and then beg for advise. I think I'll need to budget between $3-5K including duct work, but that's not a hard limit.

I have a 15x20 dedicated shop and am about to add an 8x20 attached second shop (sigh, property lines limit it to 8 feet).

The tools I have that need a dust collector and not a shop vac right now are a 220volt SawStop and Laguna 14 inch bandsaw. I am planning on upgrading my router table, which will have the dust collector box. I am also eyeing the Hammer A3-31 to replace my Cutech Jointer/Rigid Planer. Everything else is a 2 inch shop vac hose. I do want that attachment that lets you shovel wood shavings into a slot on the floor to get sucked up. I have other tools that I don't think I attach to a DC (oscillating sander, drill press, miter saw, misc power sanders, lathe, scroll saw, etc).

I am a pure hobbyist, I do not sell anything I make. I never have more than one tool at a time turned on. I don't like hassles, though, so detaching and reattaching is out. I'd like to vent into the workshop as it's air conditioned and venting outside makes the shop very hot.

I am absolutely head spinning confused as to what direction I should even take. Big huge monster in the corner with gates? 4 standalone machines dedicated to each device? Tornado?

Thanks for any help, I know it's a controversial topic.