Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Recently I put together a duct taped air cleaner with four 2" MERV 13 filters and a typical HD/Lowes fan. Did that really just as an experiment, but having that cycle on with a timer 3 times a day for 30 minutes has reduced the ambient air particle count to amazingly low levels. So the cheap/homemade air cleaner does work impressively well.
    Since you have both an air quality meter and more than one air filter to use I would very much like to see some data in its own thread of what ordinary particle counts are for you.

EDIT: nevermind, I think I foudn it here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....tion-is-Better
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 10-10-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Hi Alex,
    Haven’t listed it. Where are you? I am in La Follette, TN near Knoxville.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Since you have both an air quality meter and more than one air filter to use I would very much like to see some data in its own thread of what ordinary particle counts are for you.

EDIT: nevermind, I think I foudn it here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....tion-is-Better
    Everyone's is different, but typically my ambient small particle count on my Dylos (so 0.5 microns) is about 500. If we have a Saharan dust cloud, I've seen 1000. Best is around 350. And I'm on the water on the Gulf of Mexico.

If I let the filter box go three times a day for 30 min, and I'm not in the shop, the ambient small particle count gets down to 100 or less when I walk into the workshop in the morning. If I run all three air filters for 2 hours, I can get small particle counts around 10, which is absurdly clean air.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Doing it over, I would get the 3 hp Oneida V3000. https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...ollector-v2019 . I bought the Super Dust Gorilla 2 hp 10 years ago and have been very happy, just wish I had bumped up one size to get a bit more suction. 26 Ga snap lock steel duct works fine and is economical and self grounds and is available in one inch increments. 7" is the sweet spot for your mains with a 3 hp DC. Ever seen a pro shop with PVC duct? Just to be sure you get a DC with at least 8" WC suction at 800 cfm.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....all&highlight=
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8q...el=aandersonmi
    NOW you tell me...

I read all the responses on this thread, there is a lot of good information and advice. But is interesting that no one mentioned the Oneida Supercell. It looks really interesting, it is a 5HP unit and according to the website it covers tool collection diameters from 1" to 5". That seems to cover the majority of handheld and stationary tools, like a 17" Grizzly Band saw, for example, have 4" OD collection ports. Another super interesting factor is that the Supercell seems to cover both, the high-volume-low-pressure and the High-pressure-low-volume Scenarios. I am really interested in everybody here's opinion on that equipment. Thanks in advance, Guys!

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-coll...hops/supercell
    Communication is key to success.

Supercell is a very nice product if you have a shop size and tool assortment that it is optimal for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On a related DC note, I'm about to set up the piping for my DC. Going to use 4" sewer pipe. The photo is from a Jay Bates article. He has an adapter inside a Y that he attaches his overarm Sawstop hose to. I thought it was a nice setup, and would work well for me, but I called Rockler and they don't know what I'm talking about. I sent a question to Jay Bates too, but he never got back to me. Anyone here have any ideas? The OD of the SS hose is 1 3/4", but it's rubber so there's a fudge factor there. TIA. Mark

Hi Mark
    if you are talking about the black adapter in the Y, that is a reducer. Rockler has them on their web site so I don't know why they could not help you on the phone. I think you could get a rubber Fernco one from big box stores. Hope this helps.
    Screenshot 2022-05-20 155830.pngFernco.jpg
    Communication is key to success.

Blog Entries
    Luis I looked at the Supercell until I saw the CFM rating of 465 CFM. Then I realized what it is.

It is an interesting and unique product. I classify it as a shop vac on steroids. After a few measurements of my unit before I make changes, this CFM is in the high range of what I'm getting but most likely this is at nearly zero pressure drop.

But it is still a good spec because one would have to assume it's curve is a bit better for holding that value for some of the pressure drops we typically impose on these units than a typical dust collector design. This is based on the specification given of 98" water column at zero cfm.

But if they really wanted to impress all of us they would show the fan curve.

The Supercell isn't really 5 hp continuous but like a shop vac it can produce 5 hp briefly. Most (if not all) of us need continuous power for our dust collection system.
    While I can see it working for some of the high pressure drop pipe/hose setups we often configure for our dust collection, there are better overall solutions at a lower cost.

The other nice thing about typical high flow dust collectors actually is they don't produce the high vacuum pressure. When I run my unit completely closed I don't have to worry about collapsing pipes, collection canisters, and other components. This can actually be an issue rather than an advantage. In the end - I want high flow and not high vacuum pressure.

At least that was my conclusion after looking at it.
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 05-20-2022 at 11:36 PM.

It certainly does help, Luis! Thank you for the reply! Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Klika View Post
    On a related DC note, I'm about to set up the piping for my DC. Going to use 4" sewer pipe. The photo is from a Jay Bates article. He has an adapter inside a Y that he attaches his overarm Sawstop hose to. I thought it was a nice setup, and would work well for me, but I called Rockler and they don't know what I'm talking about. I sent a question to Jay Bates too, but he never got back to me. Anyone here have any ideas? The OD of the SS hose is 1 3/4", but it's rubber so there's a fudge factor there. TIA. Mark
    My overarm collection is also 2.5 inch split off a 6 inch duct . I'd say it is fair-to-good . The big improvement came when the over the blade shroud itself was replaced with a wider version .

12. I am looking for some advice to choose between two types of dust and chip collector; basically between the Oneida supercell and a 2 HP single stage dual bag machine with a dust deputy. I have been working on some Padauk which highlights deficiencies in my current system very well with the fine red dust.

I currently have a 2 HP General with 4 inch tubing that is about 12 years old. I use the garbage can and Lee Valley dual port lid as a first stage to collect chips. The Padauk highlights how much leakage there is from this, even with insulation striping between the lid and the can. Otherwise it removes much of the heavy material. There is some leakage around the General bags. My understanding is that this is characterized as a chip removal system. With measurements of air flow with an anemometer and some basic math, I measure the throughput at the machine to be about 755 cfm and at a nearby jointer it is 707 cfm. The actual Lee Valley chip reservoir removes about 124 cfm (these are measurements over a short time and not a proper statistical sample). I have a Festool for vacuuming and handtools. I understand this to be more of a high static pressure (suction) dust extractor, rather than a chip collector which will have high CFM but low static pressure. I have not measured static pressure for either.

In an effort to collect material more efficiently and reduce the fugitive dust in my workspace, I have been looking for a proper Oneida Dust Deputy. Of course, this led me to look at their other systems and the cyclone supercell caught my attention. This seems to be a combination of chip extraction with reasonable 434 cfm as a ‘real’ rating and dust extraction with high 97.9 WC suction. But it would mean selling my General and paying out much more for the new system.

My question is, ignoring the appeal of the catchy yellow cyclone to look at, is there any significant advantage to the cyclone system over my General with a Dust Deputy for dust and chip extraction? Is it excellent as a chip extractor AND a dust collector?

Of concern is a graph of the 5HP supercell airflow versus static pressure for different duct sizes (on the Oneida photo gallery for the individual machines). It appears that the high static pressure over 60 WC for dust extraction is for the 1.25 inch duct but has an airflow of less than 200 cfm. However, for the 4 inch duct the static pressure is about 10 WC with around 400 CFM. (I may be reading this incorrectly but there is not a clear explanation of the source and meaning of this graph).

Any advice from others with a similar dilemma is welcome! Sorry for the long text but this is not simple to explain.
    I apologize in advance as this is the same post I made yesterday on a Canadian site but I am looking widely for points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth LeDrew View Post
    I currently have a 2 HP General with 4 inch tubing that is about 12 years old. I use the garbage can and Lee Valley dual port lid as a first stage to collect chips. The Padauk highlights how much leakage there is from this, even with insulation striping between the lid and the can. Otherwise it removes much of the heavy material. There is some leakage around the General bags. My understanding is that this is characterized as a chip removal system. With measurements of air flow with an anemometer and some basic math, I measure the throughput at the machine to be about 755 cfm and at a nearby jointer it is 707 cfm.
    A 2hp extractor will not flow 750 CFM even downhill with all sails up and a 4" pipe will not flow anywhere near that either at the low pressure a dust collector works at. Anemometers cannot be used to measure air flow but everyone persists in using them despite many posts here saying don't bother. The reason the air speed means nothing are several fold, air speed into the duct varies across it due to turbulence created at the entry and within the duct air flow varies due to the air speed being affected by the duct wall so the air in the centre of the duct is faster than the air closer to the walls.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

The Supercell that you are looking at is not a traditional dust collector. It's meant to bridge the gap between a normal vacuum dust extractor and a larger high volume dust collector. If you have a lot of bench-type tools with small 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" dust ports, the Supercell can do much better than a traditional dust collector because of it's design. Think of it as three Festool dust extractors built into one unit (it uses 3 motors with 3 turbine type vacuum impellers) and pulls a good amount of CFM and static pressure through the smallish hoses. If all your machinery uses 4" ports, you are better off looking at a traditional dust collector which will pull more CFM than the Supercell.

Keep in mind that the smaller tools like sanders and routers will ultimately work better with a high static pressure vacuum like a Festool or Bosch or something.

For the cost of the Supercell, I would look at alternative dust collectors like the Jet JCDC-3 for high CFM or the Harvey G-700 for engineering as well as speed/noise control.

I love my supercell. I only have the usual 4" suspects (planer/jointer/tablesaw/sander/bandsaw) and it works great. They're only ever used one at a time. What I personally love is the ability to use the 2.5" hose on the drill press or other type tools as well as being able to use it as a "shop vac" to clean my shop. It is seriously a crazy strong vac for just sweeping the floor and tools after a long day in the shop. I have clean shop OCD, so the value I put on this feature might be higher than others, but it's worth mentioning. My old Laguna the Oneida replaced or my 1250 Rockler DC dedicated to my CNC are horrible/unusable IMHO with the same 2.5" hose I mentioned.