Thread: Diamond (Wire?) *Hand* Saw Blade or Similar?

Diamond (Wire?) *Hand* Saw Blade or Similar?

Hi guys.

Well, this is sorta woodworking related... But, I really need tips from fellow neanderthals.

I'm looking for a hand tool that will easily cut stone. Preferably a saw.

I found a diamond wire coping saw blade, which sorta does the job, but I was wanting something much longer for efficiency's sake. I can make a bow saw frame or something similar for it -- I just need a long, thin diamond saw blade.

Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing, or have alternative suggestions? Or how I can do a similar job myself?

Being that I'm in an apartment, power tools are not an option.

I googled > diamond wire < and came up with Amazon.com, 3 meter length. $15 US. LINK

Googling > Can you cut stone with a hand saw? <, I found an article on SFGATE.com that said:
    "One alternative to cutting stone tile with a wet saw is to make cuts using a manual hacksaw. Choose a hacksaw with tungsten carbide teeth, which are better equipped to cut through hard stone than traditional steel blades. Use a straightedge and a pencil to mark a cutting line on the tile, then score this line using a sharp utility knife. Put on your safety glasses and use your hacksaw to slowly and carefully cut through the tile along the scored line. Use sandpaper or a sanding stone to smooth out rough edges after you've finished cutting through the tile."

Not the entire answer, but maybe this will give you ideas. Good luck.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

How much cutting do you have to do? If it's relatively little, you may want a jeweler's saw – I believe they make diamond grit blades for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I googled > diamond wire < and came up with Amazon.com, 3 meter length. $15 US. LINK

Googling > Can you cut stone with a hand saw? <, I found an article on SFGATE.com that said:
    "One alternative to cutting stone tile with a wet saw is to make cuts using a manual hacksaw. Choose a hacksaw with tungsten carbide teeth, which are better equipped to cut through hard stone than traditional steel blades. Use a straightedge and a pencil to mark a cutting line on the tile, then score this line using a sharp utility knife. Put on your safety glasses and use your hacksaw to slowly and carefully cut through the tile along the scored line. Use sandpaper or a sanding stone to smooth out rough edges after you've finished cutting through the tile."

Not the entire answer, but maybe this will give you ideas. Good luck.
    Fred
    Wow, thanks! I don't know how I missed those. My google-fu is getting worse lately.
    That seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll give the 0.6mm wire a try.

I'm looking to cut a few (not so expensive) Jnats and other natural sharpening stones into specific sizes, basically.
    I've had need of such a saw for a long time, for all kinds of random applications though. Went ahead and bought some diamond tipped drill bits as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    How much cutting do you have to do? If it's relatively little, you may want a jeweler's saw – I believe they make diamond grit blades for them.
    Jeweler's saws are pretty much the same thing as fret saws. The ones seen in jewelry and lapidary supply stores look like some of these:

Four Frets.jpg

The two on the right are just like the ones encountered on my visits recently to lapidary supply retailers.

Luke mentioned:

wanting something much longer for efficiency's sake.
    It appears Frederick may have found an answer.

There is some overlap between the craft of woodworking and lapidary/jewelry work. Some of jewelry supplier sell diamond pastes for polishing stones. Some came home with me to try on blade sharpening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welp, some idiot at customs decidedmy package, containing a diamond wire saw, jeweler's saw frame, and diamond drill bits is prohibited in Japan and rejected my package.

I'm 99.99% sure this is a mistake...