Thread: Cordless staple gun

Cordless staple gun

Any good cordless staple guns out there? This winter I will be in the attic installing radiant barrier foil prior to adding insulation. So it only needs to work with the shortest staples. I have no battery preferences since I am using makita 9.6 which is no longer supported.
    Bill D

I’m pretty impressed with my Milwaukee M12 crown stapler. Haven’t used it that much but it has been flawless when I have used it. Most recently used it to attach garage door gasket to bottom of garage door using longish staples. I had repaired the bottom of the door (which had some rot) with Abatron wood expox, so the stapes had to go through the gasket and into the fully hardened epoxy. Stapler had no problems with this.

I have a cordless 18 gauge brad nailer and a cordless framing nailer but for other needs where I cannot easily run an air hose from a 120V compressor I use a 18V air compressor. It will even drive a flooring nailer - but the wait between fasteners is long. Mine is a Ryobi and has a 1 gallon tank. Weighs about 10 lbs. I've taken it under my house to use a cheap HF stapler to put up webbed straps to support duct work. Worked great. Very portable. I would think it would work well for the need you describe. You would need a place to put it but you could even mount it to a 2x2 foot piece of plywood or something to span a couple ceiling joists.

For jobs like that, the one I use is not cordless, but full auto. You load about three strips of staples in it, and it will lay them out as long as you hold the trigger, or use all the staples. Be careful with a new package of staples, so the strips don't get broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Fasco-A11-16-.../dp/B0037UZOG0

I have the milwaukee M12 unit as well and it has been great.

I bought it when I got frustrated with frequent jams with the stanley manual stapler I have. But another creeker gave me this tip: Short staples tend to jam because they can rotate in the nose during driving. The longer legs on long staples provide more support as the staple is being driven. So even though you only need a short staple, you may want to use a longer one unless there's some reason you can't.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I do have a HF pneumatic staple gun and a compressor. I was thinking a reasonable price cordless would be easier then lugging a hose around.
    Bill D.

I have the Makita cordless stapler. I bought it to attach hardware cloth to a large walk-in blueberry cage. I figured I drove about 3000 staples during the process. It worked virtually flawlessly and the battery longevity was amazing. The only issue I could find was that it would have been nice to have a bigger magazine. I ended up just keeping a box of staples in my pocket and reloading was really quick.

Here's a short video clip of the auto stapler working. Of course, you wouldn't move it this slow, and put the staples that close together. I put a few at one end of a run, and with a helper to hold the end of whatever we're fastening in place, run it on down the line, putting a full reach to lower level in just a few seconds. It's not only more than 10 times faster, but 100 times easier than pulling a trigger for each stapler.

It's the only air tool I don't use a quick connect on. The coupler just makes it a lot more restricted in movement. It's a pretty lightweight tool. When the stapler runs out of staples, I flop it open, and hold it down for the helper to load. Two people make it a lot faster, and easier.

Even though it's fast, you can still do a pretty, neat job of an installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jExauQ61gD8

Grex also makes one, but it doesn't hold many staples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSq4o8D7f7g

+3 on the Milwaukee m12

I've always just used an old Arrow T-50 to fasten insulation and the like, but it's tiring to squeeze the handle after a while. It is cordless, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I've always just used an old Arrow T-50 to fasten insulation and the like, but it's tiring to squeeze the handle after a while. It is cordless, though.
    I'd think the t-50 staples would be the ticket for this use instead of a woodworking type crown stapler. I bought the pneumatic t-50 gun arrow makes to do upholstery on chairs, but it looks like they also make a cordless model for a little more $. The pneumatic gun ran great, and no issues putting a whole box of staples through it, so I'd guess their battery model runs great too.

Edit- I didn't realize many of the 3/8" crown staplers also take the t-50. That being said I'd go with the M12, because those little tools are great for a lot of woodworking use.
    Last edited by Myles Moran; 09-27-2021 at 9:35 AM.