Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet dis-connect switch

Internet dis-connect switch

Does anyone use a switch to disconnect their comp from the internet? I see some home made looking ones available but they look hokey.
    My windows 10 PC has a way of waking up in the wee hours of the night.

Thanks, Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

My Linksys router has an option where I can block internet service to ANY computer any time(s) during the day. All my computers are 'net dead' during hours I sleep...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Have you run a full virus and malware scan? Do that first.

Unplug the LAN cable for a few evenings and see if that stops it from starting.

If it something on the Network starting it up, the most like suspect would be something using the Wake on LAN capability. For that to work, it has to be enabled in both the BIOS of the motherboard, and in Windows settings. Normally it is disabled by default in both places, but you can check it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You can buy inexpensive mechanical ethernet switches. My computer is on 24/7 so when I'm not using it a simple push of a button disconnects it from the internet.

unplug the modem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bill godber View Post
    unplug the modem.
    That isn't practical if you also use wi fi in the home for streaming video.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you connect thru WiFi maybe just put your computer in airplane mode? If hard wired disconnect the Ethernet cable?

Are you sure it’s the network waking up the computer. You should be able to disable wake on lan to stop it if it is. Check out https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to...-pc-from-sleep. It’s most likely a process on the computer waking it up and this article should help you figure out what it is. Good luck.

Windows does security updates and other updates between 3:00am and 6:00 am. Make sure whatever you do you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater by disallowing Windows to update itself.
    You can check &/or adjust the settings by going to ->settings ->Update& Security ->Windows Update

You can turn off the automatic updates - provided you make sure you do them yourself about every 7 days.

The downside to that is that if a threat comes out right after you do a manual update - instead of it being caught and handled ASAP - you run the risk of being a few days behind.

The safer way would be to adjust the hours to something better suited to your schedule.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Just go into your bios and disable the wake on lan

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Just go into your bios and disable the wake on lan
    *****This********

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Windows does security updates and other updates between 3:00am and 6:00 am. Make sure whatever you do you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater by disallowing Windows to update itself.
    You can check &/or adjust the settings by going to ->settings ->Update& Security ->Windows Update

You can turn off the automatic updates - provided you make sure you do them yourself about every 7 days.

The downside to that is that if a threat comes out right after you do a manual update - instead of it being caught and handled ASAP - you run the risk of being a few days behind.

The safer way would be to adjust the hours to something better suited to your schedule.
    This would be my guess. Adjust the allowed update time to something suitable. If that doesn't help you should be able to disconnect the network connection by left clicking the network icon in the lower right corner and selecting 'airplane mode'. If that doesn't help yeah look for wake on LAN. Or, if it's a notebook close the lid.

I installed a mesh network. Aside from improving access at all points of the house, it has a nice interface for blocking access for particular devices at certain times. You can implement “bed times” for all your kids devices or work pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Stewart View Post
    Does anyone use a switch to disconnect their comp from the internet? I see some home made looking ones available but they look hokey.

Thanks, Robert
    Switching must be done electronically...you can't use any kind of physical switch on an Ethernet cable and stay anywhere close to spec. You can unplug a cable, manually turn off the connection in the router or, if the router provides the means, setup a schedule for when connectivity is and isn't available.

BTW, your machine may be just following the configured schedule for checking upgrades, etc. That's often done in the "wee hours" on purpose so that updates do not impact normal use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Switching must be done electronically...you can't use any kind of physical switch on an Ethernet cable and stay anywhere close to spec. You can unplug a cable, manually turn off the connection in the router or, if the router provides the means, setup a schedule for when connectivity is and isn't available.

BTW, your machine may be just following the configured schedule for checking upgrades, etc. That's often done in the "wee hours" on purpose so that updates do not impact normal use.
    There seems to be a contradiction here. Using a physical switch is the same as unplugging an ethernet cable. I have been doing this for years with a switch like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and show no degradation in speed. And although I don't have high speed internet (around 10 MPS) some reviewers indicate no issues even on 1 Gig systems.