Thread: Newn planer?

Newn planer?

Saw this on C-list near me. No idea on size I am guessing 16-18 inch. 1950 or earlier made.
    Bill D.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tl...365812299.html

Looks like it could be a Newman 600 - 24” cutterhead. Very nice old arn planer. Hard to say what it needs to be in decent running shape...but I almost bought a nice running one a few years back for around $2k, but passed because it was just too big for my small space.
    Still waters run deep.

Thanks for the info. I agree it looks like it is a Newman 600. Weight is around 4,000 pounds so way too big for me. I wonder if the direct drive motor could be relocated and belt driven to save some width. I had never heard of them. They are still in business.
    Thanks
    Bill D.

Found this diagram. Supposed to have good dust collection with those cast iron doors to seal it off. Not like a open column planer made today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup, it’s a Newman. The shadow makes the “A” and “N” hard to make out. They made some great a machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Thanks for the info. I agree it looks like it is a Newman 600. Weight is around 4,000 pounds so way too big for me. I wonder if the direct drive motor could be relocated and belt driven to save some width. I had never heard of them. They are still in business.
    Thanks
    Bill D.

Found this diagram. Supposed to have good dust collection with those cast iron doors to seal it off. Not like a open column planer made today.
    I've seen one of those in person. Magnificent machine, but if you're worried about saving space, it's probably not the right planer for you.

Great price per pound. Never good when covers are unbolted and then set outside.