Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Make A Copy Of This???

How Do I Make A Copy Of This???

This is made of 3/8" steel. It measures about 10"x8" in an oval shape. I want to make one out of solid surface material that can be worked with WW tools, like quartz. The main problem is, how do I copy the inset? It's about 1/4" deep. Does somebody make a flush trim bit, bearing on the bottom, that's shallow enough to ride in the inset?

Derek, quartz can't be worked with woodworking tools, you are probably thinking of corian.

Agree with Steve, Corian yes quartz no. You don't need a router bit with just 1/4" of cutting depth. If your bit has say 1" of cutting depth you just need a pattern that's thick enough so the bearing can ride on the pattern with just 1/4" of cutting depth exposed. So 3/4" minimum would work.

Here is a video on routing corian you may find instructive. I think the main thing is to use a sharp high quality solid carbide router bit.
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDLMRboy5Wg
    Festool Router for cutting Corian or any Solid Surface Material

Here's what I can't wrap my head around...how do I make the pattern for the flush bit bearing to follow. How do I make the pattern that would allow me to rout that same inset? And yes, you're right, I'm thinking of Corian or something like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Here's what I can't wrap my head around...how do I make the pattern for the flush bit bearing to follow. How do I make the pattern that would allow me to rout that same inset? And yes, you're right, I'm thinking of Corian or something like it.
    why not trace the pattern on ply then another outter line of say an inch around it and cut away then cut away the inner line and clamp the resulting ply pattern on the corrian and route the pocket?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would do it on my cnc router, but by hand will work as well. Since the inset looks to have very tight corner radii - you might end up using a second router bit just for the corners.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I would do it on my cnc router, but by hand will work as well. Since the inset looks to have very tight corner radii - you might end up using a second router bit just for the corners.
    David
    Those inside corners are not radii, and therefore cannot be cut by a router bit.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    David
    Those inside corners are not circular and therefore cannot be cut by a router bit.

This has to be as close to an exact copy as possible, because the base of a tool fits into the recess as snuggly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cameron View Post
    Those inside corners are not circular and therefore cannot be cut by a router bit.

Then use the smallest router bit possible to get them close, then "hand work" to finish it off to correct corner shape.
    David

You could cast and fill the pocket with something like plaster, epoxy or jb weld. Use plywood for the center as cheap filler. Remove it, you did use mold release right?, and use a it as a pattern to rout a negative.
    Bill D

Look up paper stone-hard solid surface countertop material easily worked with WW tools.

Derek,

If I understand correctly you are trying to create an exact copy of the « cavity ».

How about a piece of MDF or plywood (1/4 or 3/8 inch) fastened with double sided tape to your master. A hole larger than the router bit will have been drilled anywhere « inside the perimeter » of the cavity. You can then let the bottom bearing follow the surface of the cavity and will end up with a very close - if not perfect - match of the shape. Removing material with a jigsaw within 3/8 inch from the perimeter before using the router would work even better.

If, on the other hand you need to replicate the « fill piece », you can than use an inlay kit and produce the « fill » from the « cavity » produced in step one.

Regards,

J.
    Last edited by Jacques Gagnon; 09-19-2021 at 11:25 PM.

Could you spray this with an oil as a release agent and then pour plaster into it. Then cut a piece of wood to close dimensions and use the plaster one to make the trim on the wood one. Then use the wood one to cut a corian one.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....