Thread: Thinning the herd again.

Thinning the herd again.

Let's face it, I am a tool junkie, and it takes me a while to let go of things even when I don't use them.

Ten years ago I bought a really nice Craftsman RAS. I think I paid $225 for it, because it was not the typical rusted out crap on CL. It had a nice table and was in great shape. I got it to make drawer lock dados for the 68 drawers in the kitchen I was building for the wife.

It did the job nicely, and then I used it to make shelving dados on a bunch of melamine closet and pantry units. Then it sat. I have a nice DeWalt 7790 that I use all the time, and had no more need for the Sears job.

I also had a Ryobi resaw band saw that was my dad's. It has been in my shop 16 years, and I had no use for it, so I tried a couple times to sell it with no takers. It is a pretty specialized machine. Three weeks ago I tried to list it again and one guy from Las Vegas wanted it, but never came. Yesterday out of the blue, a local guy called and said he would be over with the money right away.

He came, and bought it without even wanting to hear it run (?). I asked if he was interested in a RAS, and his son who was with him said 'How much?'. Two hundred and it's yours, sez I, and we loaded them both on his truck.

So, it cost me $25 to have a dedicated drawer/dado making machine for 10 years, and I gained some room in the shop.

I still have a few things to go, but it's progress.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I tried to get 100.00 for my Sears ras no takers,you're luckily.

A few months ago one showed up in an on-line auction about 5 miles from my house. It was the only item in the auction. If I remember correctly it was a heavy duty 16" Rockwell. It got one big, $25. I wanted so badly to buy it but had no use for it what so ever. Usually the auction company would pick up single items like this and bring them a remote location before auction it off but clearly they didn't think it was worth their time. I'm pretty good about not getting more than one tool unless I'm upgrading but the temptation is always there. The wife and I have an agreement, as long as I'm not tripping over them she can buy as many shoes as she wants and she doesn't inventory my shop. If I'm confessing I did buy a 1 ton electric chain hoist with a trolley. For $100 I have it on the main I beam in my garage "just in case".

I can testify Rick has a quite the herd.
    I remember that resaw machine how’s your big bandsaw running good?
    Aj

Aggie is working just fine Andrew. Every time I walk past it whispers "feeeed me". The only change I have made to it since you helped me set it up is to tighten the blade a little. I think it was slipping a bit on start up. I have saved a few short logs of birch and elm to slice up for some bandsaw boxes.

Hope your family did OK with the Covid problem, we have been very blessed here. The daughter and grand daughter are back to having dyslexia students come through all day for tutoring.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.