Thread: Bosch Lazer Measure?

Bosch Lazer Measure?

I need to quit watching Youtubes on how to install and cut Crown Molding. I am just a one man show making the repairs at home and will be the same way if I ever can get started on my new place. I did crown here in my house and if I had one of these at time it would have help improve my weak craftsmanship. So I was wondering if anyone has use one of these and if they really worth it for a person who works by themselves? I just pick out Bosch cause its what the guy on one Youtube was using to measure with. Any ideals,thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

They work sort of. I have not found one that is remotely close enough to accurate to be useful for trim. I use a Leica Disto for quoting sometimes. It is probably the best out there, but it is still a challenge to get accurate targets. Exterior wall lengths for example, you have to stick a target to something to measure a length that a tape can do about 3x faster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    They work sort of. I have not found one that is remotely close enough to accurate to be useful for trim. I use a Leica Disto for quoting sometimes. It is probably the best out there, but it is still a challenge to get accurate targets. Exterior wall lengths for example, you have to stick a target to something to measure a length that a tape can do about 3x faster.
    I too have a Leica Disto, and agree that it's one of the best. But even the best laser meters are only accurate to about 1/16 of an inch. I do a lot of outside & long distance measuring (>400') & that can be a challenge. One of the best things about the Leica is the camera mode that lets you hit the target even though it's too far away, or too brightly lit to see the laser dot. Very expensive, but so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I too have a Leica Disto, and agree that it's one of the best. But even the best laser meters are only accurate to about 1/16 of an inch. I do a lot of outside & long distance measuring (>400') & that can be a challenge. One of the best things about the Leica is the camera mode that lets you hit the target even though it's too far away, or too brightly lit to see the laser dot. Very expensive, but so worth it.

Mines only a D2, you must be using an X4 or S910? That point to point feature sure does look interesting.

I have a bosch something or other. It's really handy for estimating tasks; of course it measures length and it will calculate area and volume from 2 or 3 measurements respectively. As others have said, not accurate enough for trim work though.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have the Bosch and I find it accurate to 10th's of a mm, but a lot of that is operator error.

I mainly use it for taking inside measurements inside a cabinet before I build draw boxes. So far, transferring these measurements to my other tools, to build the drawer box, it's pretty much been spot on, although these drawer slides allow for a bit of wiggle room.

Other times I use it for general estimating length/distance, like when I needed to buy a light build changer than would reach to the exterior second floor eaves of my house.

Blog Entries
    I have the very simple GLM20. It saved me so much time when I was laying things out in the new place.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've been using a different Bosch for 12 years now and it has worked flawlessly. I've used it for a variety of measurements in the house, barn, farm building construction, even to measure the height of power lines over a road (that was a little tricky) Every time I checked I found it within a 16th", perfect for construction. I built my shop solo and used it a lot. For example, when building interior walls I'd fasten PT 2x6 to the concrete floor and 2x6 to the bottom of the trusses, mark the position of each stud, then use the laser to measure the length of each stud. Cutting each to the measured size made everything nice and tight. Quicker than using a measuring tape.

I've bought two similar for gifts to carpenters and they are using them. Can't speak to the one you show but I'm guessing it will work fine.
    JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Mines only a D2, you must be using an X4 or S910? That point to point feature sure does look interesting.
    I've got the E7500i. It will do so much more than I use it for, but I needed that camera function. Even inside, I had trouble using my old Bosch over about 100'. Just couldn't see the dot.

I’ve had a GLM 100c for a few years. I’ve found it to be accurate. I just measured a window frame in the shop. GLM says 7.744’. Tape measure says about 92 15//16, maybe just shy. That’s within a 32nd and I’ll trust the GLM over my tape in this case. It’s not only difficult to hold the tape out almost 8’ and read it, it’s even more difficult to get an accurate inside/inside measurement.

Now if someone could just tell me how to change the GLM to feet, inches and fractions I would be a lot happier with it.

From the manual of the GLM 100c,

GLM 100c.jpg

Clint

Good luck

I first saw one used by the woman who came to measure our windows for new blinds. We have some big windows. I thought it was a cool tool, and bought one, even without a business purpose.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I used one of those for years when I was working as an insurance claims adjuster. Fantastic tool for working solo; you will not regret having one.