Thread: Wine rack/storage

Wine rack/storage

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas and/or plans for a wine storage rack. I'm envisioning something constructed of cedar or redwood with sort of an open design with lots of dados for strength.

I've seen such racks for sale on various websites, but figured I could make a rack for a fraction of what those companies are charging for them.

This is for wine storage purposes in sort of a wine cellar and not so much for presention or "display furniture". The capacity will need to be about 150 bottles.

In addition to woodworking, I also enjoy making beer/wine. I find the two hobbies "dovetail" nicely together - just not at the same time.

Jeff.

Norm did one on NYW a couple years ago, plans should still be available. It's probably more "ornate" than you're looking for (and probably a bit bigger) but it'll get you started.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks Lee. I'll check it out.

Yikes! I just looked at that. Very nice, but too ornate for my needs. I'm looking for more like something that can go up against a wall. I may be able to incorporate some of Norm's design elements into more of a wall unit.

JEff.

On that show Hometime sometime last year they installed a pretty cool wine cellar in a basement. It was very nice looking but nothing elaborate. It appears you can download the design from their website http://www.hometime.com/TV/pastshow/...llr.htm#sketch

The thing that most impressed me was how boring the job would be, hundreds of little sticks to be processed. Just the job for good power tools, table saw and cms.

Pam

I don't normally post over here but, .... I built a set of two wine racks twenty years ago out of reclaimed pine floorboards. They were a full 1 inch thick by ten wide, and the building they came from was over a hundred years old at the time. I figured roughly what space I would need for twelve bottles, stacked two high with a bit of extra head space.

I then made it two spaces wide, by six deep. that is twelve cases, and I made two. I then cut a groove in the centre of each shelf top and bottom, 1/4 inch wide, and when a case got down to six bottles or less, I slid a piece of thin wood actually some old wood paneling I had around and so I could store two half cases.

If I was doing it now I would dovetail the tops to the sides, use dados for the shelves and through mortise and tenon joints where appropriate. I had to nail some 1 by 4 boards to the back to stiffen it up. The whole thing was put together with nails only and has stood up well.

Overall dimensions are, 45 inches wide by 53 1/2 tall ten deep plus the back boards, and the inside dimensions of each shelf is 6 7/8 X 21 inches.
    One thing I would add to some of the shelves would be to divide them into thirds which would hold four bottles or less. I am assuming at this point standard 750 ml. bottles.

If I can get my wife to help me out I will post a picture later tonight, or if you wish I could send you an E mail with it attached. They do not take up a lot of space and offer storage for up to 288 bottles if full. I supplemented them with a ladder like thing to sit on top which would hold twelve bottles in one layer or more if you wished to stack them. I hope this helps.

This is one I'm working on. I intend to post finished pictures when I'm done. This is a wine cabinet for my father-in-law and should hold about 175 bottles. It will have a back on it, as well as moldings at the top and base. The wood is maple. Dimensions: 78" tall, 45" wide, 12.5" deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I think I have some ideas and will put pencil to paper and report back with any progress. With my history of slow working speed, I hope to have some sawdust made sometime before spring and outside chores take up all my free time.

Here is a link to one I made a while back....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=wine+rack
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I remember reading about wine racks a while back (to age some good beer). You want to avoid using wood that has an odor, like cedar, as the cork may absorb some of the scent and damage your wine. Rosewood may be a better option, so would cherry.

Good luck!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.