Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trim router

I have the Makita you are leaning towards and the latest Bosch (GKF125CEN). Makita is nice but micro bit adjustment is impossible. Bosch is a little bigger and heavier. Fine bit height adjustment is incredible on it. No backlash whatsoever. Really like the led light on the Bosch.

I have one of each, and multiples of some, but not a single one that I'm really excited about. One toolbox is full of different ones with roundover bits from 1/16 radius up to 3/8's. Some of those have to be marked to keep one side against the workpiece, or the bit doesn't ride exactly flush with the board surface.

I have a couple of those 701 Makita's, with a pair of laminate edging bits in them. They're okay, but nothing to be excited about either.

I have about 4-5 PC690's and a couple bigger ones, so decided to get a "trim" router. Ended up with the Dewalt 611 pk with plunge and fixed bases. I really like the router and the plunge base is a pretty darn good unit. Nice smooth router with a light. I like it with my hinge jig and jamb templates for door installation. Overall a great little combo.

Well now I am stuck on the "Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ P601". Buying one with a battery and charger for $150, not very high-end but I really really like the dial-in depth, that along with being cordless will make this a great grab on the bench.

I can't seem to find an edge guide or many accessories though. The cheapo $70 no name corded trim router sets all come with the edge and roller guides and other gadgets and bits but the reviews make them all sound like junk and the name brands don't come with anything and I am finding it hard to determine if there are any universal jigs and guides for trim routers? I hate making jigs but I guess they all can be made pretty easily.

I have a both a full size plunge router and a full size one mounted in a table as well as a small 12x12 CNC so its OK if it does not do everything. I mainly would like it to easily round board edges and do small dado and grooves.

Stephen, regardless of which one you get, you will probably enjoy using it once you do. I bought a corded Makita a couple years ago. My pro-carpenter SIL was visiting before I bought it and noticed I didn't have one. Since he knew I had 18v Makita drill and driver, batteries and charger, he bought me the battery version for Christmas. I am not a battery tool fan as batteries die and are expensive but I do like that battery version of my Makita! Regardless, I have found some tasks that the trim router makes so much easier.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Same here with the Grizzly knockoff of the Makita. Both bases work very well as do many Makita accessories. Unlike Curt, however, I find it underpowered and wish I had the Makita for it's extra power. My Rigid trim router will run circles around the Grizzly and overall it is a much better little router. If that had a plunge base I would have had no need to buy another.

John

I find the power adequate as long as I leave the speed at maximum or close to it. Lower the speed to midrange and the power seems to really drops off. I doubt there's any sort of feedback mechanism to add amps as speed drops. I haven't used mine much, cutting 1/4" X 3/4" dadoes in plywood using a 1/2" straight bit have been the largest cuts so far. The power was fine. Anything more than that and the midsize router comes out.

I have three of the old model Colts now, and one Ryobi (garage sale, $5). I keep each one loaded with a specific bit, so I don't have to change the bits out. I haven't tried the new model, but agree that base slippage and painful collet access were downsides. I'd suggest considering buying the adaptor for bushings and a centering base plate when you get any trim router, as they came in handy pretty quickly.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Jonathan Katz-Moses did a comparison review of trim routers a few months ago....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6HYDdyzQ60

I would recommend reviewing. I do trust him as he is not sponsored.

OK pulled the trigger on the Ryobi. Saw positive and negative reviews (the guy above blew it off when it slipped) so we'll see. They all break by price and this is a cheaper one. With these small cordless options I am really thinking of having several out with different bits so I might get a few bites at this tool. For some projects when I am batching this will be a real time saver.