Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air quality meter, what make model, what do they cost?

Thanks.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    The Plantower(1) based monitor displays particle densities in the metric unit particles per deciliter. The Dylos display is imperial, particles per one hundredth cubic foot.

28 liters per cubic foot is .28 liters per one hundredth cubic foot. 10 deciliters per liter then makes 2.8 deciliters per one hundredth cubic foot. So, 2.8 times as many particles in .01 cubic foot as there are in one deciliter at the same particle density. Or, Dylos count = 2.8 x Plantower count.

(1) Plantower is the manufacturer of the sensor used in this and many other air quality monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    the conversion formula for the particle count to AQI so I never really did that. One of these days I'll get around to it.
    I think I got this one. EPA regulates (outdoor) air quality based on particle counts. I am in a city that gets regularly spanked on our PM 2.5 counts. The PM 2.5 count to EPA regulated Air Quality Index (AQI) in repeated on this page:

http://data.fnsb.us/airquality/AQNearRealTime , FWIW I live kinda near the "oa" in Broadmoor towards the left side of the 'rectangle of death' aka non attainment area.

There are probably similar EPA regs for PM10 and so on, outdoor PM2.5 is the thing EPA is spending tax dollars on here.

David:

I had previously used the Dylos formula for calculating AQI from their meter (at your suggestion in our previous thread). This is the explanation on Bill Pentz's website:
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/dylos.php

In essence, it is PM 2.5 = (Small Particles - Large Particles) /100

Now the units may be wrong here, and David please correct me if that is the case. I believe this gives the number in mcg/m3 which is the typical units for PM 2.5.

Alan

The next time I run my wide belt, I'll put both meters next to each other, and look at the readings.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

David:

I had previously used the Dylos formula for calculating AQI from their meter (at your suggestion in our previous thread). This is the explanation on Bill Pentz's website:
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/dylos.php

In essence, it is PM 2.5 = (Small Particles - Large Particles) /100

Now the units may be wrong here, and David please correct me if that is the case. I believe this gives the number in mcg/m3 which is the typical units for PM 2.5.

Alan

The next time I run my wide belt, I'll put both meters next to each other, and look at the readings.
    Yes, that formula provides a rough estimate of PM2.5 and the units are indeed mictogram per cubic meter. If you want to trudge through the math the assumptions are a particle diameter of 1.5 micron and density of 1.6 g/ml.

Obviously there's a lot of room for uncertainty when you have to assume an average particle diameter for a distribution that ranges over a 5:1 range. That's actually a 125:1 range for the mass per particle. Size distribution varies a lot for different materials and generating processes as well as distance from the source.

For more details on using particle counts to estimate PM levels see this paper.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Yes, that formula provides a rough estimate of PM2.5 and the units are indeed mictogram per cubic meter. If you want to trudge through the math the assumptions are a particle diameter of 1.5 micron and density of 1.6 g/ml.

Obviously there's a lot of room for uncertainty when you have to assume an average particle diameter for a distribution that ranges over a 5:1 range. That's actually a 125:1 range for the mass per particle. Size distribution varies a lot for different materials and generating processes as well as distance from the source.

For more details on using particle counts to estimate PM levels see this paper.
    There's a little light reading For now I'll stick to my simple relative method of monitoring air quality.

Thanks for offering those explanations David. It's nice that you have put your brain to work so that some of the rest of us don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Thanks for offering those explanations David. It's nice that you have put your brain to work so that some of the rest of us don't have to.
    David is my new hero.

JKJ

My old hero.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

The air quality agency for the Los Angeles region has done a lot of work testing consumer sensors against lab-quality equipment. They have evaluations for many popular models. http://www.aqmd.gov/aq-spec/evaluations/summary-pm

I was involved with a project a few years back where we decided to use purple air sensors, as much for their interface as for their accuracy/precision.

Found what appears to be the same product on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Quali...2319002&sr=8-3

Costs more, but free returns if you have Amazon Prime and you can avoid the spam from Banggood everybody is warning about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsdale Steve View Post
    Found what appears to be the same product on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Quali...2319002&sr=8-3

Costs more, but free returns if you have Amazon Prime and you can avoid the spam from Banggood everybody is warning about.
    The easy return is definitely an advantage. But calling their email marketing 'spam' is just plain wrong. It is something you sign up for when making a purchase, but you can easily opt out. Takes about 3 clicks to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The easy return is definitely an advantage. But calling their email marketing 'spam' is just plain wrong. It is something you sign up for when making a purchase, but you can easily opt out. Takes about 3 clicks to do so.
    I didn't buy it from Amazon since at the time it said "not in stock" and the projected delivery time was so long.

How long does it take to quit getting emails from Banggood? I clicked to get off their list but 4 days later I still get several promotional emails a day.
    BTW, I didn't see anywhere I signed up for emails when purchasing. Maybe it was in their Terms of Service or Privacy notice (which I did read or try to) but clicking that was required for the purchase. Did I miss something or were they being sneaky?

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-22-2021 at 1:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsdale Steve View Post

That does appear to be same unit. Nice find.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I didn't buy it from Amazon since at the time it said "not in stock" and the projected delivery time was so long.

How long does it take to quit getting emails from Banggood? I clicked to get off their list but 4 days later I still get several promotional emails a day.
    BTW, I didn't see anywhere I signed up for emails when purchasing. Maybe it was in their Terms of Service or Privacy notice (which I did read or try to) but clicking that was required for the purchase. Did I miss something or were they being sneaky?

JKJ
    I’m still getting them months later, and I never signed up for them, and clicked on the unsubscribe link several times So yes I consider that spam.

I’m still getting them months later, and I never signed up for them, and clicked on the unsubscribe link several times So yes I consider that spam.
    Fortunately gmail can send them all to never never land.

At this point, is there a prefered air-quality measurement tool for the shop?
    Are the purple air sensors useful for shop measurements?

(I'd bought a dylos years back, but it recently stopped working--shows all 0 after a few minutes)

Matt