Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: from carpet to wood stairs, looks nice but squeaky like crazy?

Thanks all for the inputs!

This morning me and my wife did some more tests on the stairs, we found out that when we rock on one step, we can feel the other treads are rubbing slightly against the skirt board.

I just ordered a Japanese Flush Cut Trim Saw and I plan to cut a little bit edge off and see if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gon View Post
    This morning me and my wife did some more tests on the stairs, we found out that when we rock on one step, we can feel the other treads are rubbing slightly against the skirt board.
    That is because the stringers are flexing. I don't understand your reluctance to bolt the stringers to the walls from underneath. That will solve your problem.

Use something like this. https://www.amazon.com/FastenMaster-...dp/B000LNVQVS/

It should be done no matter what.

Thanks, will probably do this first and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    That is because the stringers are flexing. I don't understand your reluctance to bolt the stringers to the walls from underneath. That will solve your problem.

Use something like this. https://www.amazon.com/FastenMaster-...dp/B000LNVQVS/

It should be done no matter what.

Listen to Dave. That is your problem.

Hi guys, I have some GRK rss rugged structure screws #10 x 3-1/8.

Will that be sufficient to fix the stringers to the studs? Or I better go to HD to get the Ledger Board Fastener?

Thanks
    Last edited by Forrest Gon; 09-19-2021 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Listen to Dave. That is your problem.
    It's going to take all my restraint to not print that out and post it on our fridge where my wife can see it.

Hopefully I'm smarter than that.

We'll see.

Forrest- You ask questions that no one can answer because you don't provide any details. For example, No one knows what the underside of your stair looks like. You haven't described it except to say you can access it. POST A PICTURE! I am going to guess that this is a situation where the stairs were built after the house was sheet rocked. An absolutely idiotic way to build, but it happens. Whether that is true or not, the stringers are unsupported from the first floor to the second floor. Attach them to the walls on both sides. How you do that depends on your specific situation.

Shim the space between the stringer and the wall and choose an appropriate fastener to attach the two. For all the love that is holy in the world do not destroy the perfect fit you took great pains to achieve between your beautiful new treads and the skirt board.

Here are two photos, it seems that the fit between stringers and wall is pretty tight, I see no gaps I need to shim. If folks think the GRK rss rugged structure screws #10 x 3-1/8 is good, I will start to work on it this morning and "hopefully" report back good news,

w2.jpg w.jpg
    Last edited by Forrest Gon; 09-19-2021 at 9:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gon View Post
    Hi guys, I have some GRK rss rugged structure screws #10 x 3-1/8.

Will that be sufficient to fix the stringers to the studs? Or I better go to HD to get the Ledger Board Fastener?

Thanks
    I will make a very general statement about this...the GRK fasteners are really good and are also structural. So as a fastening solution, they are a good choice. Whether the size you mention is the best choice for your application, I cannot say. That actually is the size I'm using for a stair project "as we speak", but it's a different situation than yours.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Okay, hopefully the last question, please see the photo below, I was planning to screw the stringers to the stub through "A", but it seems that the A in the photo is actually skirtboard and the two stringers are actully in the middle of the stairs. The problem is that my treads are rubbing against the skirt board, so nailing the skirtboard to studs does not seem to solve the problem as the stairs itself is still moving. Should I screw through the old treads to the stubs instead?

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.14.05 AM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Forrest Gon; 09-19-2021 at 11:26 AM.

That is bizarre construction. The stringers should be against the wall with one in the middle. You can’t do what I said. Is this space under the stairs another stair down or a closet? Would you be able to support the stringers in the middle down to the floor?

Blog Entries
    That's the weirdest set of stairs I've ever seen. Makes no sense how they built them. The best I can think of is to cut 2 new stringers, one for each side, to secure to the studs & construction glue to the treads & risers. That will lock the stairs to the side walls, where the squeaking is likely originating.

The space under the stair is a basement closet, (these are stairs going down to the basement).

I think at this point, we can tell the problem is the moving middle section between the two skirt boards.

Can i use some framing anchors to secure the treads to the skirtboards? Supporting the two stringers to to floor seems to be some major work and i would try to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    That is bizarre construction. The stringers should be against the wall with one in the middle. You can’t do what I said. Is this space under the stairs another stair down or a closet? Would you be able to support the stringers in the middle down to the floor?

yeah you could try supporting the treads on the skirt. Maybe just a cleat screwed to the skirt under the tread.

Re supporting the stringers, just a 2x4 from the stringer to the floor.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 09-19-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Fastening the treads to the skirts more securely is, in effect, trying to use the skirts as another stringer. They are half as thick but still they can take at least a little load. If you want to use them this way, I would fasten them to the studs too.

Supporting the middle of the two stringers does not have to mean a bunch of work. You could pick a stud near the middle of their span and put a couple 2x6s (could even be 2x4s) on their side of the stud tight up against the stringers. Ripping the top of these support pieces at the angle of the stairs would increase contact. This assumes that studs line up on the two sides of the staircase. That might not be the case. In that event, you would need at least one post. Even with two posts I would think this is faster than putting in a whole bunch of screws.

Both could be done but I wouldn't think both would be necessary.