Thread: So - yesterday I go to Menards

So - yesterday I go to Menards

A salesperson approaches me and asks if she can help.
    I ask, "Where can I find a countersink"?

After trying to catch up with her as she takes off across the store,,,, she turns to me and asks, "What type of plumbing fixture do you want"?

Three sales people later...& after telling them it's a drill bit kinda thing...I have one in hand.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

It's a menards thing that when you ask where something is, the sales person walks you to where the item is, no matter how far away it is.....Kind of backfires if they don't know what it is you're asking about though!

I really like the Lowes and HD website feature where it tells you what isle and bin to look for, although I've found the info incorrect a few times lately. I wish menards had such a thing.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    A salesperson approaches me and asks if she can help.
    I ask, "Where can I find a countersink"?

After trying to catch up with her as she takes off across the store,,,, she turns to me and asks, "What type of plumbing fixture do you want"?

Three sales people later...& after telling them it's a drill bit kinda thing...I have one in hand.
    Eh I can't really blame her. Sounds a lot like you were looking for a sink for a counter

"Countersink drill bit" would have improved your odds I think lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    It's a menards thing that when you ask where something is, the sales person walks you to where the item is, no matter how far away it is.....Kind of backfires if they don't know what it is you're asking about though!

I really like the Lowes and HD website feature where it tells you what isle and bin to look for, although I've found the info incorrect a few times lately. I wish menards had such a thing.
    I like the floor people at Menards for that courtesy. I sometimes thank them and just ask to be pointed.

Menards does not allow their workers to have home projects. They think this reduces employee theft of materials or some such reasoning. This means employees have a hard time learning about tools they did not use before being hired. I have leaned about tools that exist when I had a need for something to do a certain job.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Menards does not allow their workers to have home projects. They think this reduces employee theft of materials or some such reasoning. This means employees have a hard time learning about tools they did not use before being hired. I have leaned about tools that exist when I had a need for something to do a certain job.
    Bill D
    I seriously doubt that's an enforceable thing...and if true, I'd be reluctant to patronize them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Years ago, went to HD, and asked hardware guy where could I find hardware cloth. With a straight face, he looked at me and said "If you want hardware cloth, you need to go to a fabric store." Similar thing happened a couple years back in a local hardware store when I asked about hardware cloth. Young clerk looked at me like I had a third eyeball in the middle of my forehead. Older clerk told me where it was located. A customer came over and said "He wanted to see what hardware cloth was, as he thought I was pulling young guy's leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    I have never ever heard that and Menards is my go to place for the vast majority of of needs building material wise. While I know several associates because I've been such a regular I don't hang out on weekends with any of them. When I was garage door opener shopping the associate showed me some features he liked on his at home. Maybe he got it at the competition but I'm doubtful. Have you been to a lot of Menards stores?

While the locations aren't shown on their website the associate can easily look the exact location up on their in store inventory system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I seriously doubt that's an enforceable thing...and if true, I'd be reluctant to patronize them.

I remembered wrong. It only applies to managers.
    "Managers were forbidden from building their own homes, to ensure they couldn’t steal any building materials from Menard’s. And Menard hired private investigators to check whether employees who undertake even minor home-improvement projects were using pilfered supplies."
    Bill D.
    the quote is a about 1/10 down in this article
    https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/06/2...f-john-menard/