Thread: Changing scoring blade belt on Hammer K3

Changing scoring blade belt on Hammer K3

Has anyone changed the belt for their scoring blade on their K3? Mine somehow broke and I finally got around to ordering a new belt but haven't been able to find comprehensive instructions on replacing it. I'm hoping someone has some experience they can share as I've never touched the motors on a table saw before.

Some times a link belt is the easy way. Harbor Fright actually carries a decent brand name of link belt.
    Bill D

I did this last year and don’t remember exactly how I did it but know it was a pain until I found a trick. I removed the blades and the dust chute so that I could get to the back side from underneath. Seamed like I turned the belt sideways to slip it thru a slot on the far side of the scoring blade shaft mount. Then the main blade should be raised all the way up to make th3 belt path as short as possible. Then I could walk it on
    gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Some times a link belt is the easy way. Harbor Fright actually carries a decent brand name of link belt.
    Bill D
    I don’t think Felder uses vee belts much. My combo uses poly vee belts everywhere including on the scoring unit.

Bill D

I’ve never seen a poly-ribbed link belt….Rod.

I changed mine. It’s not rocket science, but it is a little cramped. I removed the front panel and accessed the assembly through there.

I finally got around to changing the belt last night and it wasn't difficult at all. Sharing the instructions and photo I got from Felder as well:

1. Disconnect saw from power source.
    2. Raise blade to highest point and tilt blade to approximately 30 degree angle.
    3. Move slider to full right stop.
    4. Unlock and open blade access panel.
    5. Remove riving knife with 19 mm wrench.
    6. Remove saw blade with 22 mm wrench and large hex key.
    7. Refer to Figure A which depicts installed scoring belt viewed from saw cabinet interior. Note that wheels have ribs on the contact faces and that wheel 2 is attached to belt tension spring assembly.
    8. Place belt in order over wheels numbered 1, 2 and 3 with ribbed side of belt meshing with ribs on wheels.
    9. Raise wheel 2 with one hand while stretching belt over wheel 4. Again, ribs on belt must mesh with ribs on wheels.
    10. Turn belt and wheels by hand to be sure that all turn freely, that belt and wheel ribs mesh smoothly and belt does not rub on wheel supports or frame.
    11. Reinstall saw blade and riving knife, close and lock blade access panel and reconnect saws to power supply.
    12. Turn saw on and off briefly to observe for abnormal appearance, vibration or noise. If any of these occur, recheck installation of belt.
    Scoring Belt Instructions Figure A.jpg

Then check and make sure the riving knife
    is adjusted correctly. Im assume it might shift a little when reinstalled?
    BILL D

Then check and make sure the riving knife
    is adjusted correctly. Im assume it might shift a little when reinstalled?
    BILL D
    Yup - I reset mine when I put it back together. I have a sharkguard I'm constantly fiddling with.

Would you mind sending the scoring belt instructions to my email address? I can’t access the jpg for some reason and the site is not allowing me to make a donation.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-25-2023 at 8:09 PM. Reason: removed email address...image viewing and private messaging requires $6 annual Contributor status.