Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this cutting board a wood movement problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

Strange looking cutting board, though. Never seen one like that.
    I actually like the inherent finger hold all the way around because of how they did a radiused recess of the core material. That's really great for serving purposes which is frankly, how I'd use that particular board if I owned one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I think it’s a waste of ebony and mahogany.
    Andrew,
    I would not call it a waste of anything. If you have 4:52 and are inclined, here's the how and why video Bob Taylor put out on the cutting boards.
    https://vimeo.com/584960177/2a3f62bc...KwmGrKpw%3D%3D

The cliff's notes - the wood they are using is the waste after milling the ebony for guitar and instrument parts. Rather than see it languish in Cameroon and go to waste, they came up with the cutting board idea. It all looks very sustainable and responsible.
    Not promoting these cutting boards, nor do I plan to buy one, but I thought it was worth pointing out that it's not wasteful. Their stickering and manufacturing process looks sophisticated too. I wonder what type of glue they are using.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 09-17-2021 at 1:56 PM.

No, it's about 150 of them.

John

The cross grained panels are just big plywood which works by staying mostly dry and by using thin (restrainable) plys.

Guitars may get built that way but they rarely get run thru the dishwasher. This is a recipe for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Andrew,
    I would not call it a waste of anything. If you have 4:52 and are inclined, here's the how and why video Bob Taylor put out on the cutting boards.
    https://vimeo.com/584960177/2a3f62bc...KwmGrKpw%3D%3D

The cliff's notes - the wood they are using is the waste after milling the ebony for guitar and instrument parts. Rather than see it languish in Cameroon and go to waste, they came up with the cutting board idea. It all looks very sustainable and responsible.
    Not promoting these cutting boards, nor do I plan to buy one, but I thought it was worth pointing out that it's not wasteful. Their stickering and manufacturing process looks sophisticated too. I wonder what type of glue they are using.
    Stellar video Edwin. That was pretty awesome to watch all the way around, the responsible harvesting/planting job creation, then there the tooling, super cool Fadal milling center and a Mirka Deros lol. Great video. Thanks.