Thread: How to purchase SYP logs

How to purchase SYP logs

Hello everyone, after a couple of years of researching starting a sawmill in the middle of the desert of the Middle East, I decided to take the final steps and now i am looking to purchase SYP logs to export them to the mill. I noticed SYP is priced by the ton.

Questions
    1. I found a couple suppliers that offer 8"+ wide logs at 39' long. I did many searches and found that every 4 tons of SYP logs should produce 1MBF. Does that sound right?

2. I found logs that are 2sc and 3sc, what should i expect to produce from these logs? Saps, Prime or Merch lumber?

3. Should i only be buying fresh cut logs? is it important to seal the ends?

4. It seems $115 a ton is the average price for exported logs not including shipping, does that sound like a good price? Where can i find more suppliers?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Amer Gamal View Post
    Hello everyone, after a couple of years of researching starting a sawmill in the middle of the desert of the Middle East, I decided to take the final steps and now i am looking to purchase SYP logs to export them to the mill. I noticed SYP is priced by the ton.

Questions
    1. I found a couple suppliers that offer 8"+ wide logs at 39' long. I did many searches and found that every 4 tons of SYP logs should produce 1MBF. Does that sound right?

2. I found logs that are 2sc and 3sc, what should i expect to produce from these logs? Saps, Prime or Merch lumber?

4. It seems $115 a ton is the average price for exported logs not including shipping, does that sound like a good price? Where can i find more suppliers?

SYP is a general term that describes a number of different pine species. From the article below, "There are ten species of pines that are considered southern yellow pines, including the four most common species, loblolly, shortleaf, longleaf, and slash. These four species make up 90% of the southern pine timber inventory. "

If you haven't seen it, this has some info and possible sourcing for SYP: https://www.lumber.com/blog/southern...ustry-insights
    When I mill on my own sawmill I want freshly cut logs sealed on both ends but that may add to the cost. Sealing can prevent loss of a foot or so of usable log. (I am not a commercial sawyer and I've never bought a log. I just have a Woodmizer behind my barn for farm use)

Between the two of these you could see if the volume per ton you've been given makes sense.
    Log volume calculator:
    https://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl
    Log weight calculator:
    https://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl

Also, what kind of "ton"?
    https://www.asseteng.com.au/blog/wha...e-one-heavier/

If ordering remotely, maybe you can hire an agent to inspect the shipment before/during loading to prevent unpleasant surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Amer Gamal View Post

Questions

Domestically, around me most syp sawlogs sell wholesale between $35 - $60 per ton. $115 seems pretty steep.

Why spend the $ to import raw logs instead of lumber? You will be paying to ship a lot of waste.

SYP typically does not require end sealing. The sap in the wood serves this purpose. Do not buy summer harvested logs unless you are ok with stain in the wood. Due to the heat, SYP will start to "blue stain" within a few days or the logs being harvested.