Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teach me about mesh sanding discs

For those that use them, would you ever go back to paper? Is there still a use for paper sanding disks?
    I like mesh discs, but i still keep paper/film backed regular discs on hand. The mesh discs just aren't as tough so in certain situation a paper or film disc is better. Flooring for example, or anywhere else you might encounter a nail, ect... Mesh isn't good for wet sanding a cast iron top either - for me anyway.

Is there a different sanding pad I need to get? Or just use them over my current sanding pad?
    DO NOT put mesh discs directly onto your sander's backer pad. It can be done, and it will work. But you'll quickly ruin the sander's pad and they are pretty expensive to replace. You'll need an "interface" pad that attaches to the sander's pad ; and the mesh discs attach to that. Sometimes the interfaces come with abrasives - like with Diablo's. But more often it's a separate sku from the abrasive co. Sometimes you'll need to get it from the sander co. like with Festool.

FWIW the Diablo mesh catapults almost all the way to the top of the value chart if you can catch a 60 pack on sale at the Depot for 40ish cents a disc.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 09-16-2021 at 7:38 AM.

Can I assume any of the mesh disks will fit any ros pad regardless of hole pattern? Is it just hook and loop or is a special pad needed that has to be bought and installed on the sander.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-15-2021 at 5:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Can I assume any of the mesh disks will fit any ros pad regardless of hole pattern? Is it just hook and loop or is a special pad needed that has to be bought and installed on the sander.
    Bill D
    Did you read Dave's post right before yours? I think he clearly answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Did you read Dave's post right before yours? I think he clearly answers your question.

Thanks for the heads up. I had only read the first half. Does the adapter pad last as long as the hook pad on a ros does?
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-16-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Bill, the interface pad last's quite a while, but you are asking the wrong question.

It should be...will my sander's pad last very long without the interface pad? The answer is NO, as Dave and I mentioned in earlier posts.

The hooks on the sander pad will wear because the mesh is so thin, and the friction ruins them.

NEWS FLASH:
    Yesterday, at HD, I bought a new Diablo interface pad for $5, and it is different from the ones I currently use The Diablo has holes for any 5 or 8 hole sander. I assume this will collect the dust even better than my old ones which have a pattern for (I assume) Mirka sanders. It would also be easy to punch a center hole for Festool sanders.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-17-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Stay away from any edges that need to remain perfectly square because with the adapter pad abrainet is prone to round the edge. You can do the center area, but the edges are best done by hand or with a firm pad. Ither than that one thing I like it and use it often.

I run all 9 hole pads on 5" and 6 hole on 6" sanders (two ceros, two air vantage, a 6" PC right angle, bosch dual mode right angle, and a small cheapy dewalt 5" RO). All on cyclone vac's with good pickup. Tried abranet for a while and to me at least it was junk. Agree fully with the interface pads for the abranet because #1 the abrasive is on all sides so it eats your pad and #2 the aluminum screen gets hot and melts the hooks off the pad. The ceros sanders and the air vantage have the million hole backer pads on them and the dust pickup is fine with 9 hole hook and loop. Ive tried USA Abrasives, Klingspor, Abranet, home center (diablo) in a pinch, and by far Rhyno is by far the best, and longest lasting, paper Ive ever had in the shop.

We too keep PSA pads and some PSA paper on hand and swap out the pads and run the PSA when we need something super flat. Like Larry said, hook and loop in general is poor at flattening and if you add an interface pad its even worse. If you need to keep things really flat PSA and peel n stick is the only way to go. Uber flat and your into films but we never get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post

DO NOT put mesh discs directly onto your sander's backer pad. It can be done, and it will work. But you'll quickly ruin the sander's pad and they are pretty expensive to replace. You'll need an "interface" pad that attaches to the sander's pad ; and the mesh discs attach to that. Sometimes the interfaces come with abrasives - like with Diablo's. But more often it's a separate sku from the abrasive co. Sometimes you'll need to get it from the sander co. like with Festool.
    I go through thousands of sanding discs in a year and have never encountered that problem. Even with the occasional wet sanding.

Question, do the mesh disks have abrasive on both sides ? So essentially 2x the working life of paper or film backed disks ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Question, do the mesh disks have abrasive on both sides ? So essentially 2x the working life of paper or film backed disks ?
    Nope. The Abranet (and now 3M Xtract) that I have is hook & loop one side and sanding grit the other just like the typical solid/holey discs.

The mesh disks are an upgrade to the standard discs at least in terms of dust extraction. I've used my new 3M Xtract but just a little so far but I'm hoping it has some noticeable difference in life. My first use of it was very positive. So hopefully, it is also and upgrade.

Interestingly, I even used the mesh discs in a sanding block (purchased sanding block made for disks). It's even an upgrade for manual sanding. I just pull it off and the dust falls out. It simply doesn't stay loaded up like typical solid sandpaper.

I'd recommend buying some mesh disks if you haven't used any. They are certainly no worse than typical sanding disks and you may that you prefer them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I go through thousands of sanding discs in a year and have never encountered that problem. Even with the occasional wet sanding.
    What are you talking about ?

No, you can only sand with one side of the disc.

Everyone knows Abranet, Mirka also make Autonet which uses a stiffer backing pad and is usually cheaper. I'm currently burning through my first order of it and no complaints, I think the stiffer backing helps resist roundover a little.