Thread: Dust Collection - What size ductwork / pipe would be most optimal?

Dust Collection - What size ductwork / pipe would be most optimal?

Here is the question and below are the details.

Question:
    What size ductwork / pipe would be most optimal? 4”, 5” or 6”

Details:

Purchased
    Used Grizzly G10292 with the following specs:
    · 2HP, 1550 CFM, 240V, 9A
    · Static pressure: 11"
    · Main inlet size: 6" with adapter: 2 x 4"
    · Impeller: 12-3/4" balanced cast aluminum

Plan to purchase
    Oneida Super Dust Deputy 5” Cyclone
    Ductwork – size and type = to be determined

Planned setup
    Garage - No heat and no AC
    Dedicated 220 circuit
    Place blower on top of cyclone
    Ductwork
    Vent to the outside (may mount blower on the outside also)
    Longest run will be about 20’ hard duct + 4-6’ of flex
    4’ straight duct run leading into the cyclone
    Metal or thin walled sewer/drain (ASTM 2729)
    Blast gates off main trunk
    One tool will be used at a time
    Tools
    10” table saw, 12” Miter Saw, 12” planer,
    14” band saw, sanding table, router table, drill press, …

Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions

I would use 6" DWV pipe.

If you are buying the 5" SDD, you pretty much have made your decision for 5" duct work. If you want to use 6" ductwork as your main, go for the 6" SDD.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For your bandsaw, consider an undertable shop vac connection like Rob Cosman has shown on youtube.

For miter saw, your success will depend on how you trap the dust coming off the saw. (I use my miter saw outdoors when I can)

for table saw, do you have any collection above the blade?

What size of bin do you plan to have below the SDD? (Overfilling happens quickly when milling lumber)

Matt

Thanks for the responses.

Jim – the reason I am looking at the 5” Super Dust Deputy vs. the XL is because Oneida suggests it for 1-3HP DCs. They said part of their reasoning was that the 5” requires a minimum maintaining of 350 CFM vs. the 850 CFM for the XL.

Matt
    I looked at the bandsaw video by Cosman – thank you.
    For my table saw - I do not have any dust collection above the blade but plan to add it. Suggestions are welcomed.

Bin Size – will look at 30-50 gal. Suggestions are welcomed.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Moye1 View Post
    ... the reason I am looking at the 5” Super Dust Deputy vs. the XL is because Oneida suggests it for 1-3HP DCs. They said part of their reasoning was that the 5” requires a minimum maintaining of 350 CFM vs. the 850 CFM for the XL.
    What drives this recommendation is the required cleaning interval for the filter. Since you're not using a filter the lower flow resistance you get with the XL should be the deciding factor, not the particle cut size.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Jim – the reason I am looking at the 5” Super Dust Deputy vs. the XL is because Oneida suggests it for 1-3HP DCs. They said part of their reasoning was that the 5” requires a minimum maintaining of 350 CFM vs. the 850 CFM for the XL.
    Doug
    Makes sense. Given the 5" SDD has a 5" inlet from the network, you'll want to go with 5" duct then. I actually am using a 5" SDD in my temporary shop at the moment and it works fine with my 5" lines to the tools. My only disappointment is that the unit I have has a small 35 gallon bin which I can fill up in just a few minutes...literally...when milling stock for a small project on my J/P. I look forward to getting back to a larger bin once I have a building up!!
    --

Blog Entries
    Personally, I'm partial to metal spiral duct. It's easy to install & there is a wide selection of long sweep fittings available. And being in an area where the humidity is generally quite low, I appreciate that I never get zapped from it. The shop vac regularly gets me when it's especially dry.

If I go 5" pipe - it appears that I am limited to using HVAC metal ducting. I am not finding 5" sewer/drain pipe. Can you provide any suggestions for 5" pipe other than HVAC?
    Thanks

If I go 5" pipe - it appears that I am limited to using HVAC metal ducting. I am not finding 5" sewer/drain pipe. Can you provide any suggestions for 5" pipe other than HVAC?
    Thanks
    That's correct...plastic only really comes in even inch sizes. But you do not want typical HVAC duct...it's generally 30 gage and too thin. While some folks get away with it, there is risk of collapse from negative pressure. You want 26 gauge snap-lock or spiral pipe or quick connect. HVAC fittings also tend to be "backwards" relative to crimps as HVAC air flow is in the opposite direction from dust collection.
    --

I have a conventional dust collector whose specs are very similar to the G1029. I am familiar with PVC pipe, I'm not familiar with 'tin knocking' so I went with 6" PVC. I fabbed my own blast gates, it was pretty easy using 6" couplers cut in half. My machines are all on wheels so connections involve 6" hose. I found a 6" X 4" PVC reducer fits pretty nicely over 6" hose. My machines have 4" ports and I know larger ports are recommended but I didn't feel like 'fighting city hall' especially with the jointer/planer. I was able to make quick disconnects using 4" thinwall PVC and the 6 X 4 connector.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Doug,

I recently hooked up a similar system. I purchased 5" duct from a local heating/AC place and got some wyes on-line. I considered venting to the outside as well, but have not yet done that.

Here's a thread on my set up:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-)&highlight=

Hope that helps and let us know what you come up with.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Bin Size – will look at 30-50 gal. Suggestions are welcomed.

Doug
    I use a Super Dust Deputy XL on my 1.5HP Jet DC, no issues with separation into a 55G first stage drum.

I have short some pieces of 5" pvc.. It is all gray conduit for electrical work I suppose. I have never seen any fittings beyond couplings.
    Bill D

Location, Climate for outside venting?
    Bill D.