Thread: This Stuff Really Happens

Blog Entries

This Stuff Really Happens

It was a little different as to how the prototype was errantly disassembled > https://dilbert.com/strip/2021-09-13 <

It makes one shake their heads when they see a group of high paid engineers destroy an important project and management is unaware of much of what is happening in the workplace.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I worked for a electronic test equipment manufacturer of both large test systems for semiconductor wafers and small bench top precision instruments of all types. We had a large lab where all the big stuff was, but 95% of the engineering happened in the engineers cubes (this was on purpose) even though it meant lots of redundant "stuff", test equipment, computers, cables, power supplies, etc. One of the main reasons for this was people were much less likely to borrow stuff or mess with stuff in someones personal cube, at least without asking. In the common lab, stuff got rearranged, borrowed, and messed with all the time. So that Dilbert strip (like so many others) rings true for me!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

In my experience most "reorganizations" are passed down to the trenches. Potentially the big "boss" is coming to visit and everything needs to sparkle. So get rid of or hide everything that isn't essential. Now some of this is needed and some is just wasteful as you point out. Having someone who is clueless doing the pitching results in things being eliminated that are still needed or essential. We did purge our shop recently of a lot of new but obsolete repair parts recently. They have a way of building up and sometimes the scrap bin is the best way to clean.

A lot more basic than that... whenever my wife can't stand my "mess" anymore, I lose a lot of stuff forever. It is probably somewhere, but I will never find where she cleaned it up to.

It's like my wife hiding my Sawmill Creek denim shirt for 4 years. It's getting worn and she didn't want me to wear it in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It's like my wife hiding my Sawmill Creek denim shirt for 4 years. It's getting worn and she didn't want me to wear it in public.
    Just wondering, did it shrink while it was hidden?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    A lot more basic than that... whenever my wife can't stand my "mess" anymore, I lose a lot of stuff forever. It is probably somewhere, but I will never find where she cleaned it up to.
    Yep! My wife gets into a sudden spaz cleaning frenzy and I know to pull the eject handle and get outta there. But you wouldn't wanna live with me. Haven't made it to Hoarders yet but I could. That's why I feel good about setting up the shop-got a dumpster and got rid of a lotta junk. But she does put up with a lot.

Oh, and on engineering.. I worked in defense electronics in a prototyping shop. The ongoing quip was, "Never give an engineer a soldering iron!"
    Last edited by Richard Hart; 09-16-2021 at 2:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Just wondering, did it shrink while it was hidden?
    Mine did. Especially around the stomach.