Thread: Square-pay email, possible hack

Square-pay email, possible hack

I just got this email, I've never had or used Square in any way so this was immediately suspect...
    note the link in the email and the actual link-to address couldn't be more different...
    square scam.jpg
    I know a lot of people DO use square, and this email seems innocuous enough, but I'm thinking it's bad...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

looks like pshing to me.

+1. As a business, I get hit very hard and very regularly with fake garbage like this. Good catch. These people are absolutely relentless.

Phishing for sure. Real notifications for things like this would more likely refer you to the normal portal for the service. "Please access your portal account for more information"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with everyone else. SCAM all the way. It's like many other phishing emails trying to get someone to "bite" and give login info. Hovering over the link is an excellent way to see if it resembles a legit address. The other thing I always look at is the senders email address. Almost always it has from minor to major indicators they are bogus as well. It's better done than most but still fake. They never give up and I suppose they only have to find a few unsuspecting to make it worth their while.

The first couple times I got one of those I forwarded it to "abuse@xyzcompany.com". I then added that it was a shame that a fortune 500 company couldn't afford their own email address. With a smiley of course.

Blog Entries
    One thing I personally and professionally have noted, is that if you can't afford to do an email with a legit company name as the @xyxcompany, then you are generating a scam email. Especially if it comes supposedly from a legit fortune 1000 company. ESPECIALLY any company dealing with or processing money. And If I have never used that bank or service, it is scam. BTW, Paypal won't ever send you an email telling you that your account is about to be suspended.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

This is just a standard phishing email and not a hack of Square. They either want your Square login info, or they are going to ask for your bank account information and possibly your SSN.

"hack" may be the wrong term, but I was remembering when a similar email some time ago with a similar 'phishing' style link
    had this waiting for me:
    ransomvirus.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle