Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving equipment long distances

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tai, when I was moving shop recently, I did call a rigger. They wanted $4000 flat rate for the day. That was a big "nope"...
    So, $4000 divided by my age = cipher, cipher, carry the nought, mutter, mumble... yep, gettin' cheaper every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    So, $4000 divided by my age = cipher, cipher, carry the nought, mutter, mumble... yep, gettin' cheaper every day!
    I was really shocked, especially when I explained the scope of work. I ended up moving it myself in three+ loads on my utility trailer with the help of a local WW friend (and 'Creeker) and my younger daughter's boyfriend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I won't try to say its cheap - or even affordable - but figure $75/man-hr X 8hr day X 3-4 guys(?). That's probably half the quote there. Then throw in travel time, fuel, power equipment, dollies, straps, chains, chain-falls, tarps, blankets, and truck(s). And finally the liability insurance and expertise (if there's a soft spot in the yard, a snowstorm, or a sudden volcano along the route, they can deal with it). And your part devolves to Master-Pointer ("That goes there. No. There! ...Puuurrrfect.")

I have only a passing familiarity with your shop, and as high as the bid seems, it doesn't sound like they were out of line.

I've found if you can be flexible with schedule, their rates can be way better. Maybe they have to travel to another job nearby? Maybe they can grab your stuff going or coming? ...Their travel time gets cut back, and they are billable for more of any given time period. Win, win.

And your back wins too.

I'm sure that what they were asking was based on what you mention, Malcolm. It just wasn't feasible for me. They were a bit curt relative to quoting it, too, but that's a whole different issue...some folks communicate less, um...pleasantly...than others.
    --

So the rollback flatbed is normally a local deal but think of the labor savings, worry savings and equipment savings.

If you use a rigger it takes two men and a fork truck at each end and a bigger truck and possibly load consolidation somewhere out of your control. Then there's the potential driveway damage (fork trucks have high wheel loads). You may have overhead clearance issues at either end too. The flatbed will give a smooth ride but there is the issue of weather.

It may take a little 'out of the box' thinking for the operator but the cost might still be lower since it's only one man and no other equipment to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I'm looking into buying a sliding table saw that seems like a good situation for me. The only problem is the saw is in Wisconsin and I'm in Kansas. I have a small pickup, but I don't think it is up to towing the saw that distance.

Anyone have any experience moving equipment? Did you hire someone? Fly up and rent a box truck? Is this just generally a bad idea?
    Here you go Jacob. Should be close enough,

https://bid.auctionbymayo.com/lot-de...%2F%3Fpage%3D1

I bought my slider and an edgebander two provinces away from my house. 1300 kms both ways. A real long day and a night in a hotel then another real long day. Hauled it home with my 3/4 ton diesel and a flat deck trailer (my bobcat hauler). Some people would call me crazy but even when the trip and time are included in the cost ,I still saved over $25000 on new prices for two machines that were so close to new it was ridiculous. I do own a Bobcat as well as engine hoist and pallet jacks and several dollies. I have an extensive collection of rachet straps and slings as well. I have hauled all the machines I have bought home myself. My advice is take a roll of shrink wrap,tarp,as many straps as you think you need x2. I also take scrap 2x4 and 3''deck screws with an impact driver to screw blocks around the base of machines on my trailer(wood deck). There is no such thing as an over secured machine especially for a long drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm sure that what they were asking was based on what you mention, Malcolm. It just wasn't feasible for me. They were a bit curt relative to quoting it, too, but that's a whole different issue...some folks communicate less, um...pleasantly...than others.
    Or they simply didn't want to deal with it.

Blog Entries
    Jacob,
    I used to live in Overland Park and moved to the DC area. We used Sunflower Pack and Move. It’s really just one guy who rents big U-Hauls and drives them. He has a Rolodex of free-lance helpers all over the country. Lots of times he rides his motorcycle. So, for your move, he might ride to Wisconsin and put the motorcycle in back with the saw.

The number I have for him is 913-888-8292.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Or they simply didn't want to deal with it.
    True dat...I'm sure much larger jobs were a lot more attractive.
    --

Blog Entries
    I used riggers for my move from Overland Park kx. As I recall, I paid $1100 for them to move all the heavy stuff from my basement to my garage. I paid for 3 hours and they ran out of heavy stuff so they moved almost the rest of the shop. Those guys worked hard!

I had moved the big stuff down to the basement over the years but gravity was my friend and I had a ready supply of friends to help. I knew that going back up was going to be difficult.